Application-/account-level proxy settings

• Hi,
    I'd love to setup a server for calendar/contacts sync etc.
    Now, I'd like to use a Tor hidden service as it's easy to setup, hides the location of the server, is end-to-end encrypted without having to trust a root CA (the domain itself is a fingerprint of the public key).
    So that's all great and all. But DavDroid doesn't support any sort of proxy configuration :( I'd very much like it to support Orbot specifically because that would allow DavDroid to turn on Orbot if it isn't running yet. If that isn't possible, at least some basic proxy support would be amazing!

• developer

• @rfc2822 Yes, but that leaves me with a whole bunch of problems. For one, it doesn't work with mobile data and I'd have to reconfigure every wifi connection.
    Second, it routes all data trough Tor including things like whatsapp so that would compromise the anonymity of my web browser. Transparant proxying everything is a bad idea for different reasons as well (Like downloading updates, it takes ages).
    Would it really not be possible to implement some basic proxy support?

• developer

@Jasper said:

@rfc2822 Yes, but that leaves me with a whole bunch of problems. For one, it doesn't work with mobile data and I'd have to reconfigure every wifi connection.

You can configure your mobile data connection, too: Settings / Wireless & networks (more) / Cellular networks / Access Point Names / <your APN> / Proxy (and Port).

Second, it routes all data trough Tor including things like whatsapp so that would compromise the anonymity of my web browser.

I don't get the sense of using WhatsApp and Tor at the same time, but that's of course a personal opinion. ;)

Transparant proxying everthing is a bad idea for different reasons as well (Like downloading updates, it takes ages).
    Would it really not be possible to implement some basic proxy support?

Of course it would be possible. High-quality patches are welcome, but please send some proposal (which things would be implemented where) first, because the GUI code in the v1 branch is being reworked heavily. I also wonder whether this should be an application-wide or per account setting.

Probably this should be an account-wide setting, which could be read by HttpClient.create(… account …), which then calls OkHttpClient.Builder's proxy().

• developer

@rfc2822 said:

Probably this should be an account-wide setting, which could be read by HttpClient.create(… account …), which then calls OkHttpClient.Builder's proxy().

Oh, and of course, the initial setup GUI would have to provide some possibility to enter proxy settings, too.

• @rfc2822 I'll reach out to the devs of Orbot/Netchipher and ask if they can help with this. They made a nice library that makes proxy and Orbot support easy to implement

• developer

@Jasper said:

@rfc2822 I'll reach out to the devs of Orbot/Netchipher and ask if they can help with this. They made a nice library that makes proxy and Orbot support easy to implement

It's not very difficult, it's just work (especially the GUI part). A library won't make it easier.

• @rfc2822 hmm all right. Is there anything I can help with? I don't have a lot of experience with Java/Android development unfortunately.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.