The same calendar event (same id) from multiple sources is displayed multiple times

• I imagine this is not trivial, but consider: 1 event is present in 2 subscriptions. I would expect in the calendar to only have 1 event and not two.

Test cases:

webcal://ics.teamup.com/feed/ks72148b40d4f64cfd/1411076.ics
    (that is a sub-calendar of the whole calendar here: )
    webcal://ics.teamup.com/feed/ks72148b40d4f64cfd/0.ics

what to do here? (other application scenarios might be team calendars / personal calendars, where I as creator of a team event do also have it in my personal calendar...)

• developer

Hello,

I would expect in the calendar to only have 1 event and not two.

I wonder why? If there are two calendars, there are two events. I would expect both events to be shown; otherwise I'd assume one to be not synchronized correctly.

Please also note that showing events is not within the scope of ICSdroid, but your calendar app. ICSdroid just downloads both .ics files and writes the events into the respective local calendars.

(other application scenarios might be team calendars / personal calendars, where I as creator of a team event do also have it in my personal calendar...)

I can only suggest to either not write the event into the personal calendar when it's in the team calendar, or to use your calendar app's filter function (i.e. to show only the calendar you need at the moment).

• ok, I would have expected that events with the same UID get "merged". Whats would be the sense of the UID anyway ? Only to identify one event within one subscription file ?

I understand, however, that this is not a bug within icsdroid then, so feel free to close this.

• developer

@kralo said:

ok, I would have expected that events with the same UID get "merged". Whats would be the sense of the UID anyway ? Only to identify one event within one subscription file ?

You're right, theroretically the UID should be "globally unique". However, the Android Calendar Provider doesn't work that way. It just has calendars (which are stored in database tables, after the Calendar Provider abstraction layer), and events (which are stored in another table, and have a n:1 to relation to the calendars).

So, the only possibility to merge duplicate events would be in the Calendar app which shows the events. You might suggest/implement this for open-source calendar apps like Etar or even for AOSP calendar (but chances that it will be accepted are low)…

I understand, however, that this is not a bug within icsdroid then, so feel free to close this.

No need to close, this is a forum ;)

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.