Couldn't get address book URL error

• I wasn't using tasks when I first instaleld DAVdroid, so I removed it and re-insyalled it. Now I can't sync my contacts - it's not a server error as it's not getting that far. I've rebooted the phone, no change.

Any ideas ?

SYNCHRONIZATION INFO
    Synchronization phase: 0
    Account name: Contacts
    Authority: com.android.contacts

STACK TRACE:
    at.bitfire.vcard4android.ContactsStorageException: Couldn't get address book URL
    at.bitfire.vcard4android.ContactsStorageException: Couldn't get address book URL
    at                
    at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.ContactsSyncManager.prepare(ContactsSyncManager.java:84)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncManager.performSync(SyncManager.java:139)
    at     at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.ContactsSyncAdapterService$ContactsSyncAdapter.onPerformSync(ContactsSyncAdapterService.java:52)
    at android.content.AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter$SyncThread.run(AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter.java:259)

SOFTWARE INFORMATION
    DAVdroid version: 0.9.1 (84) Fri Nov 13 14:30:36 GMT+00:00 2015
    Installed from: com.android.vending
    JB Workaround installed: no

CONFIGURATION
    System-wide synchronization: automatically
    Account: xxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk
      Address book sync. interval: —
      Calendar     sync. interval: 1440 min
      OpenTasks    sync. interval: 1440 min
    Account: Birthdays
      Address book sync. interval: —
      Calendar     sync. interval: 1440 min
      OpenTasks    sync. interval: —
    Account: Contacts
      Address book sync. interval: 1440 min
      Calendar     sync. interval: —
      OpenTasks    sync. interval: —

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Android version: 5.1 (LPB23.13-56)
    Device: Motorola XT1032 (falcon_umts)

• developer

DAVdroid doesn't get access to the contacts provider. Is there an active privacy guard or something like that?

• No, nothing like that.

• developer

@SimonH5 This is very strange. DAVdroid stores the address book URL in the ContactsContract SyncState. I haven't seen the behavior you have posted before (except when access to the Contacs provider and thus to the SyncState is denied by some software) and can't tell you what the reason could be.

Do you have another device? Maybe it's related to Motorola firmware, but that's a rough guess…

• Well, it seems to be working now.
    Not sure exactly which step did it, but I've cleared the app's data and cache (in control panel, apps) and uninstalled it again. Rebooted the phone, and re-installed Davdroid. I'd done various combinations of that, several times, but I think it's possibly the delete all data and reboot that's fixed it.

Odd thing is, clearing all data, uninstalling, and re-installing without a reboot seems to leave "ghosts" of other accounts still configured. Still showing in accounts, but not in account settings. So I suspect that somewhere along the line an accounts database could have got corrupted.

So I now have my contacts back (phew !), just about to try my Calendar again.

• developer

@SimonH5 I see. Theoretically, the contacts and the calendar provider are responsible for cleaning up accounts that don't exist anymore (and the accounts manager cleans up orphaned accounts for apps which are not installed anymore), but it seems there are some problems with that.

However, DAVdroid doesn't have any influence on that.

Good to hear that it now works for you again.

• @rfc2822 Yes, all seems to be working now. Off to find something else to "fix" !

Thanks.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.