Address information is not synchronized

• When I edit a contact on my phone, I can add an address (street, city etc) to the contact. However, after a sync, this address data is gone. Also, the data is not synced to the carddav server (owncloud). I'm using DAVdroid 0.3.3-alpha.

• developer

Structed address data is currently not supported because I didn't manage to enter the various fields (street, postal code, …) as separate values on my device which would be required to create a VCard.

• but it's planned for the future? would be a great enhancement!

• It would sure be.

• Would like to see Adresses, too!

• developer

Has been implemented.

Please note that the default Android contact editor doesn't allow entering structured addresses and provides only one field (whose data will be put into the "street" field). Please not that this isn't related to DAVdroid and I can't do anything about that. However, syncing addresses in both ways work, and if you use a capable contact editor app, you can even structure your addresses for uploading.

• Structured addresses themselves cause problems when you encounter places (like Japan, for example) where address structure is peculiar and not like the U.S. For me personally, having one single field to handle how I like is vastly preferable to trying to force Japanese addresses into some format that doesn't fit them.

• developer

In Android's database, addresses are structured, and so they are in VCard. So the discussion about whether structured addresses make sense is not within the scope of DAVdroid.

Personally, I think it makes sense and addresses only differ in how they are written, not in their structure.

• What assumptions does one make about addresses? I would be cautious before making very many.

In Japan there are areas larger than cities but smaller than regions. There are areas smaller than cities but larger than neighborhoods. There are areas smaller than neighborhoods. And you need all of them to form a proper address. What this means is that Android's database is overly restrictive. It fails for Japan.

And other countries have even more screwy address schemes. Did you know in Nicaragua it's common to describe places using the old names of buildings and the old names of streets followed by some basic directional notation? Crazy stuff!

Except that you can do what in fact people have done. You can just make one data column hold a ton of data. Sure, it's a type error, but at least you gain the functionality you want.

As you say, this doesn't affect the issue, but I'd be careful before assuming too much about address structure.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.