Empty addressbook

• Hello,

Syncing addresses does not work anymore, and I do not get an error. In the server log (Sogo) I do not see an error too. It looks-like the synchronization works fine, but with an empty addressbook. But the addressbook is not empty.
    The calendar works fine.

To reproduce it, remove DavDroid 0.9.0.4 and install DavDroid 0.8.4.1. Syncing the addressbook will work fine. Update to version 0.9.0.4, syncing still works fine. Disable automatic syncing in DavDroid and sync the addressbook manually. Now all contacts are gone.

I've tried to enable "log to external file" but then I get a message about a potential security risk. When I press "OK" I get that message over and over again. When I press "Cancel" the option "log to external file" is disabled again. So it's not possible to enable the option.

I am using Sogo 1.3.17. I realize this is an old version, but DavDroid has always worked fine with it.

With regards,
    Paul van der Vlis

SOFTWARE INFORMATION
    DAVdroid version: 0.9.0.4 (82) Sun Nov 01 11:45:03 CET 2015
    Installed from: F-Droid
    JB Workaround installed: no

CONFIGURATION
    System-wide synchronization: manually

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Android version: 4.2.2 (replicant_i9300-userdebug 4.2.2 JDQ39E eng.paukocialkowsk.20150901.003915 dev-keys)
    Device: samsung / GT-I9300 (m0)

• admin

Hello,

There is a bug in SOGo which didn't affect older versions of DAVdroid but newer DAVdroid versions work different, so this is now affecting DAVdroid 0.9+. This issue has been nailed down already by the SOGo team and partially fixed:

http://sogo.nu/bugs/view.php?id=3373

You need to update your SOGo and wait for an additional fix. You can switch to an old DAVdroid version (0.8.4.1) meanwhile if you want.

Hope this info helps you a bit!
    Bernhard

• Thanks for your reply. I saw later it was a known problem.

Unfortunately I will not update Sogo before I have a fully tested new mail environment, so all people who are using my service and DavDroid will have a problem now, and need to downgrade DavDroid.

Realize that all Sogo services using e.g. Debian stable or Debian oldstable will have a problem now. And this is not a security issue, so Debian will not provide new versions...

Is it possible to downgrade DavDroid without removing the settings and data?

I realize this is a bug in Sogo, but if you or somebody else could find a work-arround for this problem it would be very nice.

Thanks for your good work on DavDroid!

With regards,
    Paul van der Vlis.

• admin

Hi again,

it depends if you can downgrade or not. Which store did you get DAVdroid from?

Regards,
    Bernhard

• I get it from F-droid.

• admin

@pvdv said:

I get it from F-droid.

What happens if you downgrade? I think there is an option inside the f-droid-app...

• A customer told me he did try it, but it did not work. When I have some time I will try it myself.

• I've tried it myself yesterday evening, and downgrading does not work.

First you get a warning that the data can become corrupted. If you ignore that, you get an error and Davdroid is not downgraded.

A work-arround in a later version would be nice, or this will stay a problem for many years. I will upgrade to a new Sogo version from "Debian backports" when it's available, but many admins will use the Sogo version from "Debian stable" or another distro I guess. And because it's not a security issue I expect no fixes.

• developer

@pvdv said:

I've tried it myself yesterday evening, and downgrading does not work.

First you get a warning that the data can become corrupted. If you ignore that, you get an error and Davdroid is not downgraded.

I see. If I had thought before posting, I could have telled it before: DAVdroid 0.9 upgrades the internal settings, and of course there is no downgrade path.

A work-arround in a later version would be nice

At DAVdroid's side, there's no possibility of a workaround because SOGo doesn't return an error, but a success response, saying: "The addressbook query was OK and there are no contacts".

• @rfc2822 said:

At DAVdroid's side, there's no possibility of a workaround because SOGo doesn't return an error, but a success response, saying: "The addressbook query was OK and there are no contacts".

Maybe you can give another command to the server?

It did work nice, and all other programs are working nice too with SOGo.
    So the command you use will be a special, less used command.

The bug is now repaired in Sogo when I am right. Maybe you could use the command again in 2 years, with a warning in the readme.

• developer

Maybe you can give another command to the server?

It did work nice, and all other programs are working nice too with SOGo.
    So the command you use will be a special, less used command.

I wouldn't consider the command (REPORT addressbook-query) "special". In fact, its the only CardDAV command used. PROPFIND, which was used by previous DAVdroid versions, is only WebDAV and has several problems (for instance, it lists non-addressbook member collections, too).

The bug is now repaired in Sogo when I am right. Maybe you could use the command again in 2 years, with a warning in the readme.

I have added the warning to https://davdroid.bitfire.at/configuration. As the problem has been fixed, I don't see any problem. We just can't adapt any line of DAVdroid to all potential server bugs and issues for years, especially if they have already been fixed. Please note that we even have workarounds for the REPORT query, but the nature of the SOGo bug makes it impossible to use them here.

• @rfc2822 said:

I wouldn't consider the command (REPORT addressbook-query) "special". In fact, its the only CardDAV command used. PROPFIND, which was used by previous DAVdroid versions, is only WebDAV and has several problems (for instance, it lists non-addressbook member collections, too).

I see only PROPFIND in my older Sogo logs when it's about address books. For calendars REPORT is normal. I've searched the logfiles with grep.

I have added the warning to https://davdroid.bitfire.at/configuration. As the problem has been fixed, I don't see any problem.

Then you do not have much experience with this kind of problems, I guess.

We just can't adapt any line of DAVdroid to all potential server bugs and issues for years, especially if they have already been fixed. Please note that we even have workarounds for the REPORT query, but the nature of the SOGo bug makes it impossible to use them here.

I think I must learn from this, and not use programs like Davdroid anymore in combination with F-droid. I want a stable tested platform with security bug-fixes, and no big changes without good testing.

Realize that open source software is a mess, because many developers and organizations are all the time changing their products without much coordination. In Linux you have distro's what do testing before releasing a new stable version. And I can test it myself, before upgrading. But with F-droid, there is nothing. An app-maker can make a mess of the phone of many people who simple want to do their work.

Maybe you could make a LTS-version when DavDroid 1.0 releases, with only security updates.

With regards,
    Paul van der Vlis.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.