Calendar gets synchronized, but Contacts don't (OC 7)

• developer

Your OwnCloud is defect. Please update to a recent version.

• Oups sorry I didn’t see it was about OwnCloud…
    I don’t use it but I have the same problem since the last update, so I will open my own topid…

• It can’t be that defect, as it worked very well for more a year. Or could you give us a hint about what’s wrong with our OC version?

• I, too, would rather downgrade to an earlier DAVdroid version (which worked great) than upgrade ownCloud which I haven’t done yet for a couple of reasons…

Would you happen to have any other suggestions?

• developer

Or could you give us a hint about what’s wrong with our OC version?

As you can see from the debug logs, your server responds with 500 Internal Server Error to a REPORT addressbook-query request.

I, too, would rather downgrade to an earlier DAVdroid version (which worked great) than upgrade ownCloud which I haven’t done yet for a couple of reasons…

You’re of course free to use any DAVdroid version you want 🙂

Would you happen to have any other suggestions?

DAVdroid has an ugly fallback-hack that falls back to PROPFIND when a server responds with some defined HTTP error codes (like 400 Bad Request and 403 Forbidden) to REPORT addressbook-query. This ugly fallback-hack will now be activated for the following status codes (on REPORT addressbook-query😞

• 400 Bad Request – this is what a server sends when it thinks the REPORT is invalid
    • 403 Forbidden – some servers refuse the empty <filter/> and say that it’s not a supported filter type, so the correct response code for that is 403
    • 500 Internal Server Error – some servers (like yours) just don’t know what to do and return an “all-catch” error
    • 501 Not Implemented – that would be the right error code for a server that knows it MUST support REPORT addressbook-query, but it’s not implemented nevertheless.

So, with this ugly fallback-hack in the next DAVdroid release, you will (hopefully) be able to sync again with your OwnCloud 7 installations – but that doesn’t change anything about the fact that they’re defect.

• @rfc2822 thank you very much for this detailed explanation and for the bugfix.

• developer

Should have been worked around by DAVdroid 0.9.0.4, can you please confirm?

• It works! 👍

Thank you very much for the quick fix! 🙂

• Doesn’t work for me yet…

[info ] Preparing synchronization
    [info ] Querying capabilities
    [debug] Received <response> for http://...../owncloud/remote.php/carddav/addressbooks/deep/default/, status: null, properties: [getctag(http://calendarserver.org/ns/): GetCTag(cTag=1540),
    supported-address-data(urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:carddav): null]
    [info ] Server advertises VCard/4 support: false
    [info ] Processing locally deleted entries
    [info ] Locally preparing dirty entries
    [info ] Uploading dirty entries
    [info ] Checking sync state
    [info ] Manual sync, ignoring CTag
    [info ] Listing local entries
    [info ] Listing remote entries
    [info ] Comparing local/remote entries
    [info ] Downloading remote entries
    [info ] Downloading 0 contacts (10 at once)
    [info ] Saving sync state
    [info ] Saving CTag=1540

Edit: added ``` to make logs monospace…

• developer

@studerap It seems that your server tells DAVdroid there are 0 contacts. Please take verbose logs and post them as a snippet or something similar.