Feature request: Sync local .ics files (e.g. them synced via dropbox / teamdrive / etc)

• sync local
    ics
    sync local ics
    feature request
    sync
    dropbox
    calendar
    teamdrive
    file url
    path

• Currently it is unfortunatelly not possible to sync local .ics files to the Android calendar via ICSdroid (them being synced with other devices via e.g. dropbox, teamdrive etc.).
    A link to the ics file e.g. of the form
    file:///storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.teamdrive.android.client/cache/testcalendar.ics
    is not accepted by ICSdroid.
    This would be very handy, though. I am already syncing my .ics calendars between several Linux computers using Thunderbird + Lightning and Teamdrive.

Cheers!

• admin

thank you for posting it here! we'll have a look on how hard this is to be implemented. currently only http is supported.

but another question: wouldn't be calDAV an appropriate solution (lightweight caldav server and davdroid to sync with it?)? you'd have the possibility to change events on the phone as well then.

• Hello devvv4ever,
    thx for the fast response. "you'd have the possibility to change events on the phone as well then." Wouldn't I have this possibility with the feature requested above?

"wouldn't be calDAV an appropriate solution...?" Indeed, this would be an option (e.g. setting it up on owncloud). But I chose teamdrive for their strict privacy policy.
    Moreover, many people have dropbox/teamdrive/etc. already installed on their devices. When they choose to look for a sync solution for their address books/calendars, they do not necessarily want to set up an extra calDAV server, which would mean yet another cloud storage solution on their devices. I think my feature request therefore would be used by quite some people.

As far as I know there currently is only ICSSync which is capable of syncing from local ics files. Would be great to see an OS solution, too! (Just flattred bitfire btw) ;)

• admin

Alright. We've thought about it and now implemented the ability to add local files as well. You'll be pleased with our next release :-)

• :satisfied:
    Great! Thank you so much!!!!

• developer

"you'd have the possibility to change events on the phone as well then." Wouldn't I have this possibility with the feature requested above?

No, because ICSdroid can only sync in one direction (.ics file → calendar).

If you need to sync in both directions, you'd need CalDAV (or any other protocol/app) anyway.

• Thanks for the reply. I think this was a misunderstanding then. I thougt that icsdroid would feature full bidirectional syncing. I guess then it is not what I was looking for - unfortunately... :confused:
    If there is any solution for my setup (syncing from a local .ics file-see first post) I would be glad for some hints. Otherwise I will have to work myself through the calDAV subject...

• developer

@armadillo Synchronizing events (and tasks) is a very complicated task and it's not done with simple copy operations. All the complex operations and requirements are best covered by a separate protocol – as CalDAV.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.