Re-Evaluate Timeout (again, sorry)

• As per: https://github.com/bitfireAT/davdroid/issues/264

This issue is only going to come up more and more with the prevalence of consumer NAS devices that run on very low-power ARM processors, little RAM, and may take 10 seconds just to spin-up from a hibernate state.

As a workaround I suggest using a more sensible timeout of 120 seconds instead of 45.

"I think even 120 seconds would be enough for most to sync properly. 45 is very short, especially as this could catch out 'normal' servers on a GPRS link. 120 seconds would still take less than 10 minutes for 4 sync attempts (and if it fails after 4 times the server is down)."

I am fully aware you will tell me to screw off but please at least consider this as I don't think anyone would even notice this change (do correct me if I am wrong please) but it will fix DavDroid for a (growing) number of users.

• Why did you not comment on the already-existing issue (even if it's been closed)? Opening a new issue makes things confusing because we can't easily see the comments made back then.

• Hi

The old issue is referenced, hence giving you the old comments. In terms of making a new one, I think you answered your own question (in that it is closed).

I don't expect the devs will read old & closed issues. Also more has come to light since then, meaning that if this issue was not valid back then, maybe it is valid now.

It is not just davical that is affected either. It affects multiple cal/card dav servers now....

Anyway I see your point. Apologies if I am acting with bad etiquette. I am not a GitHub regular. Mods can always merge this issue with the old one (and maybe consider re-opening it?) if need be.

• Project maintainers can reopen GitHub issues quite easily.

+1 for increasing the timeout, though I've never had problems with my first-gen Raspberry Pi and Baikal. Perhaps another solution is to log the response times and somehow set the timeout to the avg + some constant.

On 27 August 2015 17:29:41 CEST, Rich notifications@github.com wrote:

Hi

The old issue is referenced, hence giving you the old comments. In
    terms of making a new one, I think you answered your own question (in
    that it is closed).

I don't expect the devs will read old & closed issues. Also more has
    come to light since then, meaning that if this issue was not valid back
    then, maybe it is valid now.

It is not just davical that is affected either. It affects multiple
    cal/card dav servers now....

Anyway I see your point. Apologies if I am acting with bad etiquette. I
    am not a GitHub regular. Mods can always merge this issue with the old
    one (and maybe consider re-opening it?) if need be.

Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
    https://github.com/bitfireAT/davdroid/issues/623#issuecomment-135469673

--
    Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

• Baikal is a very good solution to be honest.. It works very well even on low-end hardware. I am currently using it on my ancient Synology DS211J and it works fine within the 45 seconds. I would just personally like to use Synologys built-in solution instead as its just cleaner... but with the selfishness to one side I can see lots of people are having issues with the 45-second time-out.

• Hello,

I'm using DAVDroid to synchronize to an Exchange Server through DavMail. It seems to be working except the fact that when I am adding the account (root URL+login+pwd) DAVDroid shows a “timed out” error while DavMail is retreiving the big “contacts” repository (more than 6000 items).
    Is there something I can do?
    Would it be possible to allow the user to change the time out value?

Regards,

Kevin

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.