Handle caldav://, carddav://, davdroid:// URLs

• Hi all,
    thanks for this wonderfull and very usefull app.

A small suggestion: Some URLs for CALDAV are quiet lengthy, e.g. when using OWCLOUD on a own hosted system at home.

As an alternative to entering CALDAV/CARDDAV URLs manually using the on-screen keyboard, reading and scanning a QR-image would be very helpfull. The QR may also contain the user credentials (username/password)

This would make configuration a breeze esp. for people that are not that technically affiliated.

Best regards
    Gerry

• Do you know a CALDAV/CARDDAV server that allows to provide a QR-code for the configuration URL?

Another idea is to transfer the configuration URL on the phone by email or something similar. And then copy/paste the URL from the email client to davdroid. Of course in this case do not include the password.

• admin

DAVdroid supports resource detection/service discovery via .well-known and SRV/TXT. By configuring your server using one of these methods you'll be able to only enter your domain/hostname and DAVdroid then finds the resources automatically. No need for long URLs... ;) https://davdroid.bitfire.at/configuration has more information about it!

• i18n

QR support is too heavy to add. I think it is more flexible if URLs like carddav|caldav|davdroid://username@example.com/dav/ can be handled to directly open the account setup page with information filled. Thus you can start the account creation by clicking a link on the webpage.

• There is a semi-standard for this, webcal://-URLs. Take a look at http://dmfs.org/wiki/index.php?title=ICloud for how CalDAV-Sync uses then.

• developer

Isn't WebCAL for non-CalDAV-calendar files? I.e. simple .ics files published on a HTTP server?

• Ahh, indeed the wiki article I linked doesn't use webcal URLs. Still, it'd be nice if DAVDroid's and @dmfs' apps would be compatible in that regard.

• Several Firefox extensions generate a QRCode from whatever is in the address bar or from the clipboard. This would indeed save quite some time!

• QR support is too heavy to add

Not necessarily. DAVDroid would only need to register for those "URL types", then any QR Code reader should list it in its "open-with" dialog.

Several Firefox extensions generate a QRCode from whatever is in the address bar or from the clipboard.

Or even on right-clicking a link ("Create Barcode from Link" entry in the context menu with the "Mobile Barcoder" extension).

This would indeed save quite some time!

Definitely! Especially considering we still have to remove/re-create our accounts whenever a calendar/addressbook/… was added ;)

OTOH, one could simply scan those barcodes with a QR reader, and copy the URL to the clipboard to then paste it to DAVDroid. Still easier than typing.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.