Android Client - unable to star contacts

• FYI: I just tried with last version of DAVDroid connected to a Radicale (http://radicale.org) server, and it works.

• Same issue with owncloud 7.0.4 on Phone OnePlus One - Cyanogenmod 11 M11, Android 4.4.4 here.
    I guess it is not a problem with the carddav backend because the sync doesn’t start just in that moment, but later on.
    an “adb logcat” on this action did not post any output.

edit:// looks like a limitation of the contacts app, contacts+ is doing the job: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.contapps.android

• developer

Please provide steps to reproduce. Also note that “starring” is not defined in VCard, so DAVdroid uses the custom property X-DAVDROID-STARRED which if course can’t be understood by other clients. Other custom propertys by other clients (maybe Evolution) are preserved, but ignored.

• I have a similar problem with davdroid + owncloud, I can’t star old exisiting contacts, if i create a new one with the davdroid account it works. If I click the star on an old contact it turns white, like it’s supposed to, but I don’t see anything in the logcat with regard to that action. But if I add “X-DAVDROID-STARRED:1” to an old contact manually in the MySQL database entry for the old contact it gets synced to the device once I star a new contact and initiate a sync from the device.
    So I end up with a new and an old contact starred…I can’t unstar the old contact again, if I try that the star turns empty but upon entering the contact again, the star is solid again.
    Staring/unstaring the new contact works fine though.

• Sorry, to bring this up again! @rfc2822

Problem: Can’t ‘star’ contacts

Steps to reproduce:

• Open contacts app
    • Select contact, only associated with davdroid (no Whatsapp, Threema, etc.)
    • ‘Star’ the contact
    • Star icon turns white
    • Go back and look at the ‘starred contacts’

Expectation: Contact is in the ‘starred contacts’ and if you open the contact, the star icon is white.

Reality: Contact isn’t starred and if you open the contact, the star icon is not white.

Additional information:

• Device: OnePlus One
    • Used app: com.android.contacts (AOSP Vers.)
    • davdroid version: 0.7.2
    • CalDav-Server: ownCloud 8.0
    • If the contact is associated with third party apps (like Whatsapp, Threema, etc.) the expectation is achieved.

• Hi,
    Just wanted to say that “I got this problem too” with an owncloud 8 server provided by zaclys (french provider). Hope something can be done.

• Could it be that another client drops the unknown property?

• @untitaker I don’t think so, as it works for contacts, which are connected to other apps - but not with contacts, only used by DavDroid.

• Hello,

I had the same problem on an Xperia Z3C and CM12.1, using DAVDROID to synchronize my contacts with my ownCloud server. And before with my S3mini and the same OS.
    I was unable to star or unstar my contacts with the contact defaut app, but it was working with Contact+

I think i found the problem, it’s come from the IUD of the contacts.
    When UID is of the form XXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXX, it works.
    When UID is of the form XXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXX.vcf
    or XXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXX@myowncloudserver.com
    it doesn’t.
    The problem is the dot and the extension at the end of your contacts.

So, to solve the probem, I exported all my contacts on a vcf file. Edited it with a text editor to delete all "@myowncloudserver.com" and “.vcf” (use the find and replace fonction), and then imported my contacts again on my server,
    I resynchronized my phone and everthing is working fine.

• @androdid Do you experience the same issues again if you re-add those parts to the UID? If you have some items with the @-parts in the UID, and some not, do these exhibit different behavior when starred?

• Yes I’ve tried to re-add the @ part on some contacts, and I had the same issue with it.
    It looks like when a contact has a @ part (or even just .vcf), contact app can’t add or remove the X-DAVDROID-STARRED:1 line

Contact+ doesn’t have this problem.