Restrict sync to Wifi only

• Hi, first of all let me thank everybody for this powerful and neat app, it's really fantastic!
    But after some weeks of usage, I recognized the high mobile traffic consumption due to a lot of high-res contact pictures. So I think it would be a nice features to have a switch to enable Wifi-only sync to save mobile data traffic.

Is it easy to implement or are somehow dependend on Android's own sync management (which has not the wifi-only option)?

• developer

Is it easy to implement or are somehow dependend on Android's own sync management (which has not the wifi-only option)?

Isn't that the "Restrict background data" option?

screenshot_2014-08-09-09-21-38

http://eguides.sprint.com/support/eguides/samsunggalaxys4mini/index.html#samsung_galaxy_s_4_mini_ug/data_usage.html

• Maybe, but I thought more about an option which only effects Davdroid itself and no other apps since I don't want to stop other background sync tasks from e.g. K9 Mail or Telegram when "Restrict background data".

• developer

Maybe, but I thought more about an option which only effects Davdroid itself and no other apps since I don't want to stop other background sync tasks from e.g. K9 Mail or Telegram when "Restrict background data".

May I ask what the reason is? If you want to save battery, it would be better to restrict all background data.

• developer

Any news on this?

• Hi there, the high amount of traffic due to hig-res contact pictures is the main cause for the need to restrict the data transfer over mobile internet. I'm using an app called 'Identiconizer!' which can set up nice contact pictures. And I play with it a lot (e.g. while sitting in the train). So when this app sets up new contact pictures for every contact, Davdroid is syncing them immediately -> High traffic!

• developer

And I play with it a lot (e.g. while sitting in the train). So when this app sets up new contact pictures for every contact, Davdroid is syncing them immediately -> High traffic!

This is exactly what DAVdroid is supposed to do. If you want to play around with contacts without having DAVdroid syncing it, you may disable "Synchronize contacts" in the DAVdroid account settings.

settings

Does this help you?

• First of all, thank you so much for this wonderful app! :)
    However, I agree with eike2013 in that I also would highly appreciate to have this feature.
    I also use high resolution contact pictures (synced with facebook) - which means every time contact pictures are updated davdroid eats up all my monthly mobile data allowance.
    Guess this would have to be like in play store where you can decide to update apps over wifi only.

• developer

Guess this would have to be like in play store where you can decide to update apps over wifi only.

@done712: Why don't you use the "Restrict background data" option mentioned above? As far as I understand it, it's exactly what you want: it prevents apps from using mobile data for syncing (and more).

• First of all thank you for your answer!
    Guess you confused me with the screenshot above as checking this box would restrict background for all apps. However it is true that there also is an option to restrict background data for individual apps.

• developer

Guess you confused me with the screenshot above as checking this box would restrict background for all apps.

So you don't want your mobile data allowance to be eaten up by apps, but you want all apps except DAVdroid to synchronize using mobile data?

What other apps do you need syncing mobile? Or: How would checking "Restrict background data" not solve your problem?

• developer

By the way, "restrict background data" is now a per-app setting in Android (Settings / Data usage / DAVdroid / Restrict background data).

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.