Empty groups

• I was very happy to see groups support in latest verson (0.6.x) and it seems to work fine so far - thanks to everyone involved. But there is a bit left to do: contacts with no group assigned (at server side) should get a "dummy"/empty group assigned at mobile side upon syncing because otherwise this contacts are still not visible e.g. to my car via bluetooth (seems to be an android limitation and this is the workaround implemented e.g. by caldav-sync). So all my contacts which have already a group do show up in my car, just the reminder without any group does not. The same applies when creating a new contact at mobile side: the dummy-group should get assigned automatically. This dummy-group must not be synced to server side - its just a workaround at mobile side.

• developer

Hello, thanks for your report. Is there an AOSP bug report where the workaround is described? Otherwise, the bug would have to be reported to Google first (if it is really an Android problem).

See also #91.

• There is already a comment on this in issue #91:

blapp commented on 12 Feb

I haven't actually verified this, but a bit of browsing through the Android source code suggests this is caused by davdroid not currently assigning any groups to contacts (see #48).

See https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/apps/Bluetooth/+/master/src/com/android/bluetooth/hfp/AtPhonebook.java

where = VISIBLE_PHONEBOOK_WHERE;
    VISIBLE_PHONEBOOK_WHERE = Phone.IN_VISIBLE_GROUP + "=1";

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/provider/ContactsContract.ContactsColumns.html#IN_VISIBLE_GROUP

"Flag that reflects the GROUP_VISIBLE state of any ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.GroupMembership for this contact."

The rationale for this is probably because with a Google/Gmail account, every email address that you've ever sent to/received from is added to your contact list in the "Other Contacts" group. To prevent all those from being synced to your car, that group's VISIBLE flag would be set to false.

Best would be if Android changed the bluetooth sync logic to depend on whether a contact contains a phone number instead of whether it is a member of a group, but for now you might want to add group support to davdroid - even if it's somewhat broken.

• Maybe "limitation" was not the correct word: it seems rather to "work as designed". On the other side this gives users the possibility to limit the contacts they want to sync in case the car has a limit on the number of contacts it can handle.

• developer

Best would be if Android changed the bluetooth sync logic to depend on whether a contact contains a phone number instead of whether it is a member of a group, but for now you might want to add group support to davdroid - even if it's somewhat broken.

Can you please create an AOSP bug or enhancement request (see above) for this issue because it's primarily an Android issue and not a DAVdroid issue?

• From Android perspective there is no issue. This would rather post a (long running) feature request with (maybe) strong dependencies and side effects I currently can't oversee. Again: this would also make it impossible to limit the contacts to sync in case the car is limited on the number of contacts it can handle. I also guess that the developers of "caldav-sync" had strong reasons to implement what I called a "workaround".

• Also found this statement from google: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/97952?hl=en
    ...Most mobile devices will sync with this group (i.e. "My Contacts"), but some may sync other default groups...

• developer

From Android perspective there is no issue.

Well, from DAVdroid perspective, there's no issue, too.

So where does the issue belong to? Maybe to the Bluetooth app, as it's only a Bluetooth problem. The app should provide a useful way to select contacts that should be synced because groups are (per Android specs) per account so the Bluetooth app must not rely on them. One way would be to sync all contacts per default, otherwise let the user choose the contacts in a list with checkable contacts.

• developer

Do you agree that this is primarily an issue of the Bluetooth hfp module, so that we can file an issue in the AOSP bug tracker?

• developer

As this seems to be a duplicate of #91, please follow up there.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.