Calendar dies when adding new Appointment

• When I try to add a new Appointment to my calendar, the calendar dies on me.
    To be exact: I click on the "+" for adding an appointment, and in there I activate the pulldown-menu in the top-left to change the calendar-provider. As soon as I select davdroid, the "Add Appointment" crashes.

Everything else works great, including Syncing, Editing of Appointments and all of Carddav.

I'm on an HTC One with Android 4.4.2 (custom rom, but based on HTC's sense-ui) using v0.5.9 of davdroid and radicale v0.7 as server.
    When installing the google calendar from the market, this error does not occure. So it is only the combination of the htc-calendar with davdroid-provider on adding.

Sorry, that I could not try any other third-party calendar providers. I don't know any that do not require some registration / account or stuff. The shipped calendar providers work fine.
    If there is a pointer to a neat third-party calendar provider that is "light", I can check against this as well.

Here is the relevant logcat:
    E/ActivityManager( 919): App crashed! Process: com.htc.calendar
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8497): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8497): Process: com.htc.calendar, PID: 8497
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8497): java.lang.NullPointerException
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8497): at com.htc.calendar.EditEvent.setUpUIByCalendarsAccount(EditEvent.java:4661)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8497): at com.htc.calendar.EditEvent.updateCurrentEventCalendarSyncSource(EditEvent.java:4642)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8497): at com.htc.calendar.EditEventHeaderBarDropDown$1.onItemClick(EditEventHeaderBarDropDown.java:355)
    ....... etc etc etc

• Ammendment: Google-Calendar works for creating, but not for viewing appointments. So I have google-calendar for creating and htc-calendar for editing and viewing appointments. The upper original post would be the more relevant to me personally. ;-)

Here is the relevant logcat from google-calendar:
    E/chromium(21930): [ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(532)] Failed to load /data/data/com.google.android.calendar/app_webview/paks/webviewchromium.pak
    E/chromium(21930): Some features may not be available.
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): Writing exception to parcel
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: the bind value at index 1 is null
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteProgram.bindString(SQLiteProgram.java)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteProgram.bindAllArgsAsStrings(SQLiteProgram.java)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDirectCursorDriver.query(SQLiteDirectCursorDriver.java)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.rawQueryWithFactory(SQLiteDatabase.java)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteQueryBuilder.query(SQLiteQueryBuilder.java)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteQueryBuilder.query(SQLiteQueryBuilder.java)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at com.android.providers.calendar.CalendarProvider2.query(CalendarProvider2.java:1253)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at com.android.providers.calendar.CalendarProvider2.query(CalendarProvider2.java:1222)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at com.android.providers.calendar.HtcCalendarProvider.query(HtcCalendarProvider.java:127)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at android.content.ContentProvider.query(ContentProvider.java)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.query(ContentProvider.java)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at android.content.ContentProviderNative.onTransact(ContentProviderNative.java)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 1309): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.run(Native Method)
    E/ActivityManager( 919): App crashed! Process: com.google.android.calendar
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): Process: com.google.android.calendar, PID: 21930
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): java.lang.NullPointerException
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at android.text.SpannableStringBuilder.append(SpannableStringBuilder.java)
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at com.android.calendar.EventInfoFragment$QueryHandler.onQueryComplete(EventInfoFragment.java:597)
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at com.android.calendar.AsyncQueryService.handleMessage(AsyncQueryService.java:412)
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java)
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java)
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java)
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:515)
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java)
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java)
    E/AndroidRuntime(21930): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
    E/ActivityThread( 1294): Failed to find provider info for com.htc.idlescreen.setting.provider

• developer

Please test with other calendars. Can you point me to the source code of your custom ROM / calendar apps (in the version you use them) because otherwise, the stack trace with the code line numbers doesn't help.

I'd need a specific field(s) in the calendar entries that causes the calendars to crash, then I can see if DAVdroid would have to set these fields.

• Sure...
    This is the mod with my default (HTC) calendar: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2334294
    (Currently I'm on 5.7.0)
    This is the google-calendar from the second post: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.calendar

Do you have another calendar in mind that I should test ? Or another calendar-backend ?

• developer

I'd actually need the real source code in exactly the version you use, particularly the class containing com.htc.calendar.EditEvent.setUpUIByCalendarsAccount(EditEvent.java:4661). I guess that the source code is not available for the public, so I can't debug this HTC problem.

For the Android calendar, I'd also need the source code of exactly the version you use. Maybe there's a support group for the Android calendar, as it seems to be a problem there?

• developer

Any news on this?

• Well, I cannot get to the sources of the htc-calendar.
    If you can give me some clues, how to bisect the problem (e.g. less or additional fields compiled into the sync-provider) let me know.

Regarding the Google-Calendar, it's the latest version from the AppStore:
    com.google.android.calendar in version 201308023
    I don't know, what else I could do here.

• developer

Did you try to delete all data of the calendars app and storage (in the Settings/Apps activity)? But be careful, it will delete all your calendar data.

I'll close this issue for now because I don't think it's a DAVdroid problem. If you find out anything new, please feel free to post here again nevertheless.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.