Home Website gets discarded from new contact

• I'm using 0.5.2 alpha from Samsung store on a Galaxy Tab 3 with Android 4.2.2. I read somewhere that there is a 0.5.3 alpha - when's it coming to Samsung store?

Apart from the known problems with Groups (what a drag!) I have noticed that when I add a second website (at "Home") to a new contact entered into the tablet, URL;Type=home is not generated on the UpSync to the server; rather, the second website gets deleted from the Android contact!

I've noticed and read about the depressing problems with adresses (Android supporting only one field, generally passed through as Street). And it's a nice tweak that on the DownSync the separate fields at least get put onto 3 lines, separated by Newlines. So my question is, could the converse be done? I tried entering an address in the same format, with two newlines, on the tablet, but no, DAVdroid seems currently not to do the converse mapping to address fields for UpSyncing.

Thanks for a great App, I'd been using CalDAV and CardDAV Sync, which are more mature and offer more settings to play with - but DAVdroid parsing the collection and offering all available items for optional syncing really makes life easy!

• developer

I'm using 0.5.2 alpha from Samsung store on a Galaxy Tab 3 with Android 4.2.2. I read somewhere that there is a 0.5.3 alpha - when's it coming to Samsung store?

There's a special approval procedure for Samsung Store that takes a few days. We have submitted 0.5.6-alpha a few days ago, so it will be available soon.

Apart from the known problems with Groups (what a drag!) I have noticed that when I add a second website (at "Home") to a new contact entered into the tablet, URL;Type=home is not generated on the UpSync to the server; rather, the second website gets deleted from the Android contact!

Android 4.0 has a so-called EditSchema XML that defines which contact fields are supported. The Android contacts editor parses this file and shows the input fields accordingly. However, for Android 4.0 devices, the number of URLs must be limited to 1 or the contacts editor will crash! So, only one URL must be present per contact or otherwise the editor may crash. That's why DAVdroid reads only one URL, and if you change a contact, the new contact will be saved with only one URL (discarding the second).
    I have seen that the EditSchema allows any number of URLs, but only one gets synced. So this is a bug and it will be fixed :)

I've noticed and read about the depressing problems with adresses (Android supporting only one field, generally passed through as Street). And it's a nice tweak that on the DownSync the separate fields at least get put onto 3 lines, separated by Newlines. So my question is, could the converse be done? I tried entering an address in the same format, with two newlines, on the tablet, but no, DAVdroid seems currently not to do the converse mapping to address fields for UpSyncing.

Maybe it would be possible, but a) it's far too complicated and error-prone (every contry has own address formating rules!), and b) DAVdroid is clearly not responsible for address field formatting. The Android contacts provider provides structured addresses, and DAVdroid syncs them. That's it. Splitting an incorrect "street" field would be the responsibility of the contact editor or Contacts data provider, so if you'd need this, you would have to use another contacts editor app. Personally, I enter addresses only using other DAV clients (Evolution, in my case).

Thanks for a great App, I'd been using CalDAV and CardDAV Sync, which are more mature and offer more settings to play with - but DAVdroid parsing the collection and offering all available items for optional syncing really makes life easy!

We do our best to avoid settings – what can be done automatically should be done automatically. (Yes, I use Gnome and not KDE if you understand this one :))

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.