Sync has stopped working after several years

• admin

@trevor-prinn it would be interesting, yes.

It would also be very helpful if you can manage to create system logs to see what happens when you press the sync button (the verbose logging function of DAVx5 only logs the sync process itself - but since it is never called the logging function of DAVx5 in this case is useless because we don’t see any relevant things). There is a short guide here to perform adb logging:

https://www.davx5.com/faq/how-to-debug (Android Debugging section)

• @devvv4ever I don’t think I’ll have time to see to it today, but I’ll get the info to you when I can.

• @devvv4ever I’ve managed to check the Samsung email app. It is kind of working, but only synchs when I actually fire up the app. It’s not doing the periodic synch that I set up in it.

I’ll try and do the logging later today.

• @devvv4ever And here’s the adb log

adb.zip

• admin

@trevor-prinn Thank you for providing the adb logs. The process seems pretty normal - nothing logged which would indicate unusual activities… How much free disk space do you have on your root folder?

BTW: Another person solved the exact same problem by making a factory reset of the device. I know thats hard and time intense, but if you rely on DAVx5 it may be worth considering.

• @devvv4ever It’s about 97% used at present. 31.25 of 32GB. The more apps I move off onto the SD card the more space the system seems to use.

I may have to try resetting it, but it might take a while to get it all working right again afterwards.

One thing I find odd is that ICSx5 is almost working right. The automatic timed synchs don’t happen, but I can make it synch manually. Is the process for that so different?

• @devvv4ever Actually, ICSx5 has stopped updating now, even when I do a manual synch. The only way I can get it to update is to delete the subscriptions and re-create them.

• @devvv4ever I bit the bullet and reset the phone to factory. It’s taken me almost a day to get everything back as it was, but DAVx5 and ICSx5 seem to be working again. I’ve also got something like 6GB of storage space back.

• admin

@trevor-prinn It’s a pity that this was necessary, but it seems that this really has come from an update of the firmware in combination with very low disk space 😕

• This post is deleted!

• I had this same issue. I’m confident it is caused only by a lack of disk space, after removing a big video file, it immediately started working again.

Once I figured this out I realized that I’ve had this issue before, about a year ago. That time I also spent a few hours, very annoyed, not being able to find the cause of this issue.

I would very much appreciate it if the app would give any feedback on this. Why is there no error produced? I use the app so sparingly (usually it “just works” so I never have to open it) that I didn’t even notice there were no “progress bars” when refreshing the calendars. I skimmed through the debug info/logs, but did not see anything about disk space mentioned there.

I would expect some kind of feedback when it can’t sync the calendars, right? I understand that in this case it probably succeeds in connecting with the server, but then fails when it’s actually downloading the new data, or handling this. But there should also be a check in place for that right? And a error message that gives some clue as to what has gone wrong?

The calendar apps I use on my android phone both did show some appointments, but the appointments were a few weeks out of date, and did not match what I saw in thunderbird on my laptop, or in the webinterface to my calendar software. I guess that is still stored in the android calendar database?

• developer

Hi,

@kingannoy said in Sync has stopped working after several years:

I had this same issue. I’m confident it is caused only by a lack of disk space, after removing a big video file, it immediately started working again.

Very interesting to hear. Didn’t know that little free space is a reason for not syncing. Probably the debug info should contain the free disk space, too.

Once I figured this out I realized that I’ve had this issue before, about a year ago. That time I also spent a few hours, very annoyed, not being able to find the cause of this issue.

Dont’ ask how many hours we have spent with that problem 😉 It’s one of the most frequent problems; and there is no clear solution for that. I would have never thought that the most complicated problem in app programming is to convince the operating system to actually start it.

I would very much appreciate it if the app would give any feedback on this. Why is there no error produced?

Because the sync is managed and started by Android. It should produce an error when it’s not able to sync. DAVx⁵ does not get any feedback or information that the system doesn’t fulfill its duties.

I would expect some kind of feedback when it can’t sync the calendars, right?

When DAVx⁵ would be started by the system, it could give some feedback…