Do you think this is a DAVdroid problem? Did yoo already contact Blackberry support about that?
@rfc2822 I am the server support
My server is an arch linux machine. A week ago I updated everything and now encounter this problem.
I tried to downgrade sogo and sope to working versions (from 1 year ago) but the problem remained.
Sogo/Sope use libxml2/libwbxml/libexpat for xml handling. I guess an updated version of one of these cause the problem. (They have a lot of BOM handling code…)
@arwie I see… maybe there are SOGo forums where you can get some ideas. Unfortunately I’m not experienced with SOGo internals.
@rfc2822 Thank you for your support so far! At least the problem is now identified. I’ll come back here when I’ve found a solution…
If someone else comes across this issue: Here is a working quick and dirty workaround.
Inside apache proxy for sogo use mod_substitute to remove the BOMs
# Workaround for SOGo bug: BOM inside XML RequestHeader unset "Accept-Encoding" SetOutputFilter SUBSTITUTE Substitute "s/﻿//nq"
I tried to report this bug to SOGo but their tracker is only for VIPs…
@arwie Interesting issue and thanks for finding a workaround.
We are using SOGo for various customer installations, currently on server version 5.1.1 ourselves, and have not seen this issue (yet).
@rfc2822 Tracker is still only viewable for free accounts.
“New users can only view tickets. To be able to create or comment tickets, you must contact us and ask for higher privileges. Thank you!”
Contact us links to their commercial support page.
@halemmerich Ah ok thanks.