Sync old NextCloud contacts from phone to new Radicale server

• First off, thank you so much not only for your work on this wonderful software, but also for sharing it under GPL! It’s one of those things that “just worked” so long for me, that I never needed to think much about it, and therefore I have been remiss in throwing you some beer/coffee money, which I shall remedy shortly. 😉

Also, apologies if I missed similar issue, I did try and look but I’m afraid either I could not come up with the right combination of terms, or the terms led to too many false positives…

My situation is that I used to run a NextCloud server, had that all working (syncing with LineageOS on phone via DAVx5). NextCloud is a fine piece of software, but I did not need any of the web UI (only contact, calendar, and file sync) and so decided to move in a more light weight direction, by replacing it with a combination of Syncthing and Radicale, instead.

Now Syncthing I have been using for a couple years to sync files, but I never actually got around to implementing the contact syncing part (until now). I have been playing with Radicale and essentially have it working on a Single Board Computer at home.

Now that I prepare to do the initial sync, I begin to think about how exactly I should do that?

Currently the situation is that all my (~600) contacts exist only on the phone, in a DAVx5 Address Book which is pointing at a (now non-existent since years) NextCloud instance. How to best get them into the new Radicale instance without them being deleted? There is nothing stored in the new Radicale setup, yet.

Should I simply change the server information in the existing DAVx5 settings on the phone to point to the new Radicale instance?

Should I do some export then import?

Or is there yet some better way?

There is one more wrinkle. I am actually moving from Galaxy s5 (which I used for many years) to new PinePhone I am now proud owner of. Which is in fact what is driving this whole process at this time (finally! 😄 ). So actually, I need to sync all the existing contacts from s5 -> Radicale, and then from there onto the new PinePhone[0].

I actually read almost entire docs, FAQ, and even poked around the forums quite a bit, and while I feel I answered a lot of questions I always had about DAVx5 (I know a lot more now about how sync works, etc.) I am still a bit hesitant on exactly what path I should take forward.

[0] This part (sync back down to new PinePhone) I also already have working (in testing). So my question is really about the (large number of) existing contacts.

• developer

Hello,

@trs-80 said in Sync old NextCloud contacts from phone to new Radicale server:

Currently the situation is that all my (~600) contacts exist only on the phone, in a DAVx5 Address Book which is pointing at a (now non-existent since years) NextCloud instance. How to best get them into the new Radicale instance without them being deleted? There is nothing stored in the new Radicale setup, yet.

I’d recommend:

1. Export the contacts with the Android contacts app to a .vcf. It generates vCards 2.1, so don’t import it directly to Radicale. However save it somewhere not on the phone as backup.
    2. Set up DAVx5 with the Radicale server. Sync; an empty address book should be created on the Android device.
    3. Import the vcf with the same Android contacts app, but to the new account.
    4. Verify that the contacts are now on the Radicale server.
    5. Delete the Nextcloud account.

The process is also shown here: https://www.davx5.com/faq/existing-contacts-are-not-synced

Does that help?