broken error handling in create address book / calendar activity

• In the create address book activity, no value for homeset_layout is preselected, resulting in this error

Screenshot_1625660018.png

Notice, how no actual error message is displayed, only the error symbol is overlayed with the drop down symbol, which looks broken.

After selecting a storage location, the actual error message pops up instead of being cleared.

Screenshot_1625660039.png

The same problems can be seen in the create calendar activity
    Screenshot_1625660053.png
    Screenshot_1625660058.png

• developer

@mbiebl Hi,

Thanks; I have already noticed that myself. Should be fixed with https://gitlab.com/bitfireAT/davx5-ose/-/commit/47d317bce924627acc94838901e994a7e94af7fa

Please note that work on the dev branch is often incomplete and still subject to change before the next release.

• @rfc2822 thanks, this looks better now.
    A couple of observations:

• The error message is not cleared in homeset_layout when you select a location from the dropdown box (in both create calendar and address book activity)
    • The error message in display_name is not cleared in the create calendar activity
    • Should the space for the error message pre-allocated as in login_credentials_fragment.xml (via app:errorEnabled=“true”) and the padding adjusted accordingly?

• and if there is only one storage location, maybe pre-select this one
  • developer

@mbiebl said in broken error handling in create address book / calendar activity:

• The error message is not cleared in homeset_layout when you select a location from the dropdown box (in both create calendar and address book activity)
    • The error message in display_name is not cleared in the create calendar activity

My idea was to validate and set the error message only when the action is started. Maybe input could be validated for every keypress, but is that really necessary? Unfortunately, I couldn’t find something about this in the Material guidelines.

• Should the space for the error message pre-allocated as in login_credentials_fragment.xml (via
      app:errorEnabled=“true”) and the padding adjusted accordingly?

No, it makes the layout unnecessarily large and ugly (personal opinion). Also, I don’t want to expect the error here.

and if there is only one storage location, maybe pre-select this one

Agreed. Do you have a quick fix for that (no MR required, just where to change what)? Fiddling around with UI code is always a pain for me.