Blank screen in DAVx5 v3.3.11-ose

• Bonjour.

I have been using DAVx5 for a while, and have never encountered this issue before. Except for enabling the new dark mode (thank you so much!), I haven’t made any configuration changes. I did update to v3.3.11-ose. The new version seemed to work fine for at least a week. I’m not sure what to do now besides delete all data in the app and try to remember how I had it configured.

Is there a configuration backup/export option? I tried using another app to find the Android activity to access an export option, but I didn’t see any such activity. Trying to launch the configuration activity externally fails.

The symptom DAVx5 is experiencing is that a white screen (with the normal Android status bar) appears instead of the UI. As mentioned above, I’m using the new dark theme, and so seeing an all white screen could possibly be indicative that the DAVx5 UI isn’t loading at all or an issue with the new dark theme.

Once the white screen appears, nothing works. Pressing Android’s ‘back’ button doesn’t even close the app and return to the launcher.

I can only press Android’s ‘home’ button to return to the launcher.

I then went into the native Android “Settings” UI, and selected “Apps”. From there I selected DAVx5. I cleared DAVx5’s cache, but that did not help. The version of Android being used (Nougat) has a cog icon in the upper-right corner of the “Apps” page for DAVx5. I pressed that. DAVx5 loaded again with the same white screen. But this time, bad things happened. The device started getting quite hot, indicating high processor usage. Pressing Android’s home button would bring up the launcher for a brief moment, but then reopen the DAVx5 all-white screen on its own. Clearly it was stuck in an infinite loop, and that’s likely what was causing the high processor usage. I don’t know if this is a DAVx5 bug or an Android bug.

Repeating all of the above multiple times yielded identical results.

The only other piece of data that I can share is that DAVx5 was using 360KB of data storage on the device. After all this, it is now using 400KB. Since I didn’t add any data or make any changes, I’m not sure why there would be more data stored. Perhaps it is storing a debug log that I cannot access. The device is not rooted.

I think that sums it all up and provides all the details I can imagine you wanting (besides a logcat and a debug log, but I’m out of time to work on this for now).

Maybe you’ll have some ideas based on the above or others can chime in with more details if they have experienced anything similar.

• Well, I rebooted and the issue did not resolve. I tried all the steps above again, and it still didn’t resolve.

I really wanted to sync my calendars, so I cleared DAVx5’s data, and then relaunched it. It worked, as expected. So somehow it’s data got messed up. Since the device isn’t rooted, DAVx5 is the only app that can access it’s own data. Something in DAVx5 is likely causing it’s data to become corrupt.

One thing I found curious is that even though I cleared the DAVx5 data, it still new the account name. How did DAVx5 still know this name?

From what I can tell, there is no export/backup function in DAVx5, so wish me success in getting it configured again!

• I am new to using NodeBB (it is quite good!), and I just realized I posted all this in a subforum instead of the parent forum. Can you move this up one level, or do I need to copy and paste everything and repost?

Either way, unhappiness has ensued.

While I was trying to get DAVx5 to work, I mentioned that I cleared its data and cache. Even doing this, DAVx5 somehow still knew my account name (I’m hypothesizing it is stored by Android). Trying for over two hours to get things to work, I attempted a manual sync within DAVx5. DAVx5 proceeded to delete the contents of ALL my local databases. That’s a big problem, and big data loss for me. I still have all the data that was backed up on the cloud, but because I haven’t been able to sync recently (see the DAVx5 issues above), everything that wasn’t synced is now permanently lost.

• developer

Hello,

@croissant said in Blank screen in DAVx5 v3.3.11-ose:

From what I can tell, there is no export/backup function in DAVx5, so wish me success in getting it configured again!

Yes, at the moment, there is unfortunately no such function, although it’s on the todo list. It should however take about 1 min to set up the new account; and normally you don’t do that every day.

I am new to using NodeBB (it is quite good!), and I just realized I posted all this in a subforum instead of the parent forum. Can you move this up one level, […]

Did so.

Even doing this, DAVx5 somehow still knew my account name (I’m hypothesizing it is stored by Android).

Exactly 🙂 Accounts are managed by Android’s AccountManager. So it’s still there when you clear DAVx5 data.

DAVx5 proceeded to delete the contents of ALL my local databases.

DAVx⁵ only deletes local data when it’s not present on the server anymore (that is what’s expected from synchronizing). What exactly do you mean? Can you provide steps to reproduce so that I can have a look? Unfortunately, I don’t know your device and what’s going on there. Alternatively, you can create verbose DAVx⁵ logs, where everything it does (including deletions) is logged.

• @rfc2822 Were you able to see the main issue described in the first post above? I don’t see any reply to it.

After much time and effort (it’s not trivial when you don’t do this all the time), I got everything I could from backups (lost all data for the week since the last backup), imported that data, reconfigured the calendars, installed DAVx5 again, and configured DAVx5 from scratch. DAVx5 worked 1 time, and now it just shows the all-white screen again.

I can’t enable verbose debugging because DAVx5 is completely frozen.

If I turn off the device’s screen and wait a while, the screen will come back on completely black. If I repeat that several times, DAVx5 will appear with an “IllegalStateException” that says “Must be called from main thread”.

When I click on “View Details”, I can load some debug output into a text editor. But when I try to save the file, I receive the error: “Permission Denial: writing androidx.core.content.FileProvider url content://at.bitfire.davdroid.debug/debug/debug-info.txt from pid=XXXXX, uid=XXXXX requires the provider be exported, or grantUriPermission()”.

I’ll spend more time on this and get that debug data for you one way or another, but it contains much private information, so it will take me awhile to go through it all and redact that data. Can you tell me what you really need from the debug file, so I can send just that section to you?

Note that pressing the back-arrow button on DAVx5’s “Debug info” screen just brings up another identical “Debug info” screen. I pressed it at least 20 times, and that’s all it does. There is no way I can find to get into the main DAVx5 UI at this point, as it is completely broken.

Note that I had no problems before this latest DAVx5 release and nothing else changed on my end.

(BTW, I tried to post this earlier, but pressing the “Submit” button on the Bitfire forums did nothing: no posting, no error message, and no feedback. I’m guessing you have some sort of rate-limiting imposed, as I made 1 tiny post just before I tried posting this. But please be aware that, if this is the cause of the issue, the user receives absolutely no feedback, so the UX is simply that the forums appear broken.)

• @croissant I repeated the above process multiple times, and DAVx5 goes “white screen” and freezes up every time at exactly the same point. Looks like a big bug.

I might try reverting one or two versions, as I really need a working calendar right now. Are there any similar apps out there that might work better for me? I just need calendar sync to work right now… spent 5-6 hours on these issues the past several days (and carefully writing these reports), and I’m falling behind on tasks.

Also, I’ve been able to reproduce the other issue where DAVx5 deletes everything from local calendars. 100% reproducible every time. I don’t have time to write up all the details at this time, but to summarize, it happens when DAVx5 tries to sync data when it knows the account name (stored in Android), but doesn’t have all the sync details (server name, etc.). It will just delete everything in the local calendars.

But honestly, that’s not nearly as important to me, as I now know how to avoid that issue, so getting syncing up and running reliably is my main priority right now. But when I repeat the normal DAVx5 setup process, DAVx5 always displays nothing more than a white screen after the first sync, and then it freezes.

• @croissant said in Blank screen in DAVx5 v3.3.11-ose:

Bonjour.

I have been using DAVx5 for a while, and have never encountered this issue before. Except for enabling the new dark mode (thank you so much!), I haven’t made any configuration changes. I did update to v3.3.11-ose. The new version seemed to work fine for at least a week. I’m not sure what to do now besides delete all data in the app and try to remember how I had it configured.

The symptom DAVx5 is experiencing is that a white screen (with the normal Android status bar) appears instead of the UI. As mentioned above, I’m using the new dark theme, and so seeing an all white screen could possibly be indicative that the DAVx5 UI isn’t loading at all or an issue with the new dark theme.

I have had a similar problem using DAVx5 since dark mode was introduced except that in my case initially the blank screen was dark. My phone (realme 7 pro, android 10) uses a system-wide Dark theme and I was trying to use DAVx’s Light theme. I could only get around the problem by enabling Light mode on my phone and making sure that I either enabled ‘system default’ in DAVx’s theme settings or used a theme to match that enabled on my phone (light or dark as appropriate). DAVx appears to have a problem with forcing its own light theme when dark mode is enabled system-wide and vice versa. You may be experiencing the same problem on your device.

• I came across a similar issue. System default is the light theme and DAVx5 has been configured using the dark theme. After days of working normally, DAVx5 suddenly came up with a white, blank screen. I’ve stopped and restarted DAVx5 several times but the issue stayed the same. Finally, after a couple of failures, DAVx5 started and worked again as expected and I’ve switched back to the light mode. Since then the issue did not appear again.
    Sony XA2 (H4113)
    Android 9
    DAVx5 3.3.11-ose
    I’m sorry having no further details available.
    And btw, thanks for this great peace of software!

• admin

@maction We’ve implemented changes that hopefully prevent these white screens in the future. It will be available in 3.3.12 - currently in beta (unfortuneately only in the Play Store).

• @devvv4ever said in Blank screen in DAVx5 v3.3.11-ose:

@maction We’ve implemented changes that hopefully prevent these white screens in the future. It will be available in 3.3.12 - currently in beta (unfortuneately only in the Play Store).

@devvv4ever : Great support! 🙂
    Using the light theme in DAVx5 along with the light system theme looks like a workaround until 3.3.12 is getting available. Thanks!