• Hi,

I’ve gone ahead and did the stupidest thing imaginable:
    I had the contacts in my wife’s phone synced with a owncloud account through DavX5 only.
    I then went ahead and canceleed the owncloud account and subsequently uninstalled DavX5 from the phone, thinking that “it’s just a sync between the phone’s local contacts and the remote account, right?” Wrong!
    Since I now have 0 contacts remaining on the phone, no backup of the owncloud data and no idea how to get it back, I just wanted to ask if DavX5 maybe keeps a backup of the synced contact data on the phone that is not wiped during an uninstall?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

• developer

Hi,

@r_wraith said in Disaster recovery?:

I had the contacts in my wife’s phone synced with a owncloud account through DavX5 only.
    I then went ahead and canceleed the owncloud account and subsequently uninstalled DavX5 from the phone, thinking that “it’s just a sync between the phone’s local contacts and the remote account, right?” Wrong!

Yes, unfortunately, contacts are always assigned to an address book in Android. In your case, this was the DAVx⁵ address book. If you delete DAVx⁵, the DAVx⁵ address book is removed and so the local contacts are.

There’s more information about that here: https://www.davx5.com/manual/

Since I now have 0 contacts remaining on the phone, no backup of the owncloud data and no idea how to get it back, I just wanted to ask if DavX5 maybe keeps a backup of the synced contact data on the phone that is not wiped during an uninstall?

DAVx⁵ is designed for privacy: it doesn’t store data in its own space when not needed, so the contacts are only stored in the Android contacts provide (which removes the contacts when DAVx⁵ is removed, see above). And there shouldn’t be any traces when the contacts are removed…

So the only helpful things I can imagine are:

• server backups
    • phone backups
    • maybe unwanted phone contacts backups by spying apps with contacts permission (Google contacts, Whatsapp, …)

• @rfc2822 Thank you very much for the quick reply, I already feared as much as privacy concerns were my main reason of using DavX5.