Switching off colors when there are already events with colors doesn't work

• [rfc2822: I have split this topic from the other one because it’s another problem]

@tomcat-x
    Now it happened again - on my wife’s mobile 😞

What I tested this time additionally (to creating and changing entries on both sides) is creating new calendars on both sides (in DAVx5 and nextcloud). I could always see them on the other side after sync but not in calendar apps on Android.

I then activated log and after sync I found following in log:

2021-03-13 16:34:23 53815 [syncadapter.CalendarsSyncAdapterService] Couldn't sync calendars
    EXCEPTION java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Cannot delete color aquamarine. Referenced by 11 events.
    	at android.database.DatabaseUtils.readExceptionFromParcel(DatabaseUtils.java:167)
    	at android.database.DatabaseUtils.readExceptionFromParcel(DatabaseUtils.java:135)
    	at android.content.ContentProviderProxy.delete(ContentProviderNative.java:547)
    	at android.content.ContentProviderClient.delete(ContentProviderClient.java:317)
    	at at.bitfire.ical4android.AndroidCalendar$Companion.removeColors(AndroidCalendar.kt:2)
    	at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.CalendarsSyncAdapterService$CalendarsSyncAdapter.sync(CalendarsSyncAdapterService.kt:5)
    	at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncAdapterService$SyncAdapter.onPerformSync(SyncAdapterService.kt:13)
    	at android.content.AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter$SyncThread.run(AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter.java:334)

Seems we used CoD (Color of Death 😉 ). After switching event color option on, sync worked again.

How can I solve it? I switched event color option off because I don’t want to see my wife’s calendar entries in different colors on my device. I could not get it working with just switching the option off on my mobile, some entries got colors differing from calendar color there. So I had the idea to switch it of on my wife’s one so the colors would nether “leave” her mobile.

I think last time issue was that after syncing on of these entries to my phone, sync stopped working there.

By the way: we are using “Business Calendar”

• developer

@tomcat-x Thanks for your report. This should be fixed with https://gitlab.com/bitfireAT/ical4android/-/commit/a9ad9fbb17ef7a29cf37c78624c3237f7e3fc80c. Where did you get DAVx⁵ from? Google Play?

• @rfc2822 said in Switching off colors when there are already events with colors doesn't work:

I have split this topic from the other one because it’s another problem

New topic for this concrete issue with exception in log is good idea, but I’m not sure if it really is another problem. I think “sync stop” (in other topic) was caused by it. Maybe it was no total sync stop but just all new entries had colors and hence were not synced.

@rfc2822 said in Switching off colors when there are already events with colors doesn't work:

Where did you get DAVx⁵ from? Google Play?

No, not Google Play. Wherever possible I use F-Droid, so in this case.

• developer

No, not Google Play. Wherever possible I use F-Droid, so in this case.

I see. Unfortunately, then I can’t send you an APK with the same key for testing. So you’d have to uninstall/install DAVx5 from the .apk for testing (I’d like to have a confirmation whether this is really fixed) or to wait until the next DAVx5 release.

• @rfc2822 With re-installing I would loose calendars and contact lists which will cause some work (selecting which and how to display, filtering birthday lists, calendars for widget, … ) that I already did few days ago. And in this case I would have to do it even twice. So I would prefer waiting for the update.

Also I think I would loose real “test data” after initial sync and test with any other scenario is not worse.