• I’m a long time user - thanks for the great app! I just switched to Posteo which uses X-JABBER for XMPP addresses (and X-AIM etc for other instant messenger services). These XMPP fields don’t sync to my device. Even more concerning is that if I edit these contacts in any way (eg change phone number) on my device and sync it back, the Posteo contact loses everything except for the X-JABBER field.

This is unfortunately a deal-breaking issue as I have a large number of contacts with IM fields.

• developer

Hi,

@hexado said in X-JABBER is not supported and corrupts vcards:

I’m a long time user - thanks for the great app! I just switched to Posteo which uses X-JABBER for XMPP addresses (and X-AIM etc for other instant messenger services). These XMPP fields don’t sync to my device.

This is true. There’s no reason to use proprietary X-JABBER etc. properties, because there’s a standardized IMPP property (vCard 3 / vCard 4).

So a Jabber address should be sent as IMPP:xmpp:user@example.com and not as X-JABBER:user@example.com to ensure interoperability. This is what DAVx⁵ does.

Could you please report that to Posteo?

Even more concerning is that if I edit these contacts in any way (eg change phone number) on my device and sync it back, the Posteo contact loses everything except for the X-JABBER field.

I couldn’t reproduce that behavior in a quick test:

1. Created a Posteo contact, synced
    2. Added Jabber, synced
    3. JID didn’t appear in Android Contacts, but was stored internally
    4. Edited contact in Android Contacts
    5. Contact was sent to Posteo with JID and modified details
    6. Posteo displayed contact with JID and modified details

So please provide verbose steps to reproduce the problem, including the debug info.

• @rfc2822

Thanks for the prompt response.

On the first point, X-JABBER/X-AIM/etc seems to be more widely adopted than IMPP. Even if it it’s not as “official” (which may not mean much in the overall mess that is the VCARD format), I could see a strong case for it to be supported (at least as an checkbox option to rewrite it when sending to server). As support for this, even when I export a contact using the stock Android Contacts app, it’s exported with the X-JABBER: convention, not IMPP:.

To ask Posteo to change their convention would mean they upset all the current users who rely on the other format for interoperability. I think the responsibility should fall on the “connector” apps like DAVx5 which are in the position to provide compatibility for both widely used conventions.

I see the same sentiment echo’ed by another user here: https://forums.bitfire.at/topic/217/support-for-instant-messaging-addresses

It seems as if you’ve elected to choose to support the IMPP type. From what I can see, the X-JABBER, X-AIM, etc. are more common. Both Address Book on OS X and Xabber on Android seem to be using that scheme. IMPP is the actual standard though, so I would understand if you chose to continue onward with that.

For debugging, I reproduced as follows:

1. Create this VCF file:
    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:3.0
    FN:b a
    N:x;y;;;
    TEL;TYPE=MOBILE:342-434-5134
    IMPP;X-SERVICE-TYPE:Jabber:j@j.com
    END:VCARD

1. Import to Posteo (Posteo does not display IMPP field but it’s retained)
    2. Sync with DAVx5
    3. Edit phone number in Android Contacts
    4. Sync with DAVx5
    5. On Posteo side, the phone number field disappears

This behavior does not occur when repeating the same in ContactsSync. I would need to repeat later to see if this occurs when importing a VCF from PC to Posteo with X-JABBER (I think it did but cannot remember). I didn’t save debugging info this time, but if still needed, can try to repeat later in my spare time.

• @rfc2822
    I noticed from another thread that you’re a fan of Conservations. I use that too - I think it’s by far the best Android Jabber client. It seems that Conversations only supports the X-JABBER format for matching against contacts (the matches make the avatar’s show the first name of the contact in Conversations). As an aside, I’m wondering if you’ve found a workaround for Conversations to work with DAVx5 / IMPP format?

• Sorry for the multiple replies, but actually I was wrong on a couple things in my last post. It looks like the stock Android Contacts app exports as X-JABBER but the OS in general uses a different DB format and Conversations does work with DAVx5 / IMPP.

I continue to have to have the problem of phone numbers edited Android-side disappearing in Posteo on sync back. Edited emails don’t have this problem. Also, this occurs when using IMPP:xmpp:j@j.com as suggested

• developer

@hexado @hexado said in Posteo X-JABBER:

Sorry for the multiple replies, but actually I was wrong on a couple things in my last post. It looks like the stock Android Contacts app exports as X-JABBER

Yes, the Android Contacts app exports vCard 2.0 (CardDAV requires vCard 3 or 4), and even a very “special” flavor of it. As I see it, these exported files can only be used for importing into Android Contacts again. I recommend to not use these exported files for anything else than for importing with the same app.

but the OS in general uses a different DB format and Conversations does work with DAVx5 / IMPP.

Works here, too. I use Conversations and XMPP addresses for contacts myself.

I continue to have to have the problem of phone numbers edited Android-side disappearing in Posteo on sync back. Edited emails don’t have this problem. Also, this occurs when using IMPP:xmpp:j@j.com as suggested

I have checked this and found:

1. TYPE=MOBILE is not defined, neither in vCard 3 nor 4. So for DAVx⁵, this is a custom label, so it saves the phone number with “type: custom” and custom label: “Mobile”.
    2. When you edit the phone number on Android without changing the type, DAVx⁵ sends the phone number as:
    group1.TEL;TYPE=x-mobile:34243451343
    group1.X-ABLabel:Mobile

using the X-ABLabel to retain the label.

1. However, it seems the Posteo Web UI doesn’t understand vCard-compliant grouping and simply doesn’t show the phone number.
    2. If you then change the type to “Mobile” (not Custom: mobile) on Android and then sync, DAVx⁵ will upload TEL;TYPE=cell:.. and the phone number will be shown in Posteo as expected.

So:

• Can you please report the missing grouping support to Posteo?
    • Please fix your vCards so they use TYPE=cell instead of TYPE=mobile, or you risk that things like this happen.