Contacts Have Correct Phone Number But Incorrect Name


  • I recently moved my contacts into my Nextcloud server and am using Davx5 to sync things with my Android phone. However, since I’ve done that something strange has been happening with a subset of addresses.

    1. Person A will call me
    2. When I look at my phone I will see Person A’s phone number but also Person B’s name.

    It doesn’t happen with all of my addresses but with a subset. This also happens:

    1. I open my Contacts app
    2. I open Person A’s contact info. Everything looks correct.
    3. I tap on the “text” button for that contact
    4. Person A’s texting history is opened in the messages app, but with Person B’s name.

    What’s especially strange is that if Person B calls or texts me, I see Person C’s name. If Person C calls or texts me, I just see his phone number as his name.

    Here’s what I’ve done to troubleshoot the issue:

    1. Switched from Signal to the default Messaging app. I get the same behavior in both apps.
    2. Uninstalled and re-installed Davx5 and set things up according to the official instructions for Nextcloud.
    3. Exported my contacts and opened them in a text editor. There doesn’t seem to be anything that makes Person A’s account “special”.
    4. Checked the contact info in the Nextcloud contacts app
    5. Added all of my contacts to the myContacts group in Nextcloud (which I admit was a shot in the dark).

    Here’s my system info:

    • Nextcloud version: 20.0.3
    • Android version: 9
    • Davx5 version: Latest from F-Droid today

    What should I try next?


  • @tompurl said in Contacts Have Correct Phone Number But Incorrect Name:

    I recently moved my contacts into my Nextcloud server and am using Davx5 to sync things with my Android phone. However, since I’ve done that something strange has been happening with a subset of addresses.

    Person A will call me
    When I look at my phone I will see Person A’s phone number but also Person B’s name.

    Due to the fact that DAVx5 usually doesn’t change an records on its own, I would expect to find the root cause of the problem in the data itself. I would recommend to export your contact to a vcf file on Nextcloud and double-check with a text editor that the data of both contacts are correct.

    If this is the case I would delete DAVx5 and all existing address books on your Android device, install DAVx5 again and set-up the synchronization again. Usually the data should then be transfered to your device again.


  • @j-ed You were right! The issue was on the Nextcloud side - apparently some of the metadata of my contacts had been switched around. I fixed that and now my problem is solved. Thanks for the quick help.

Similar topics

  • 3
  • 5
  • 6