[Solved] Nextcloud Contacts Birthdays calendar : http 404 error

• Ahah i solved my issue while writing this post. So i post it anyway with the solution, in case it can be useful to someone else.

Hi,

I have a Nextcloud in which are stored my contacts and calendars. One of the calendars is the “Contacts Birthdays” automatically generated by Nextcloud.

I’m using Davx5 with Etar (calendar app) and Simple Contacts Pro to sync with my android.

Looking at Etar yesterday, i saw that today was gonna be one of my friends birthday, thanks to an event from the “Contacts birthdays” calendar. And i told to myself “hey, let’s add a reminder to that event so that i don’t forget tomorrow”.

Since that moment, at each sync i have an error notification on my phone saying “Contacts Birthdays - Server error HTTP - HTTP 404” whereas i can access that calendar without any problem in my Nextcloud.

I suppose that the error comes from the fact that i tried to modify an event from that calendar which is a read-only calendar (because generated by the Calendar App of Nextcloud using the Contacts App).

Aaand so i solved it :
    In the Calendar App of the Nextcloud, i disabled that calendar in the “Settings and import” dropdown menu in the bottom left of the screen. Then in Davx5 i synced the Calendar list, then reactived the calendar in Nextcloud and synced the calendars list in Davx5 and voilà !

• Hi there, I to use Nextcloud, am having a similar issue. But the read only calendars do sync it’s just that the bitfire app does not refrain for issuing error notifications in the android notifications. Sometimes it works sometimes not as is with all things mobile, so what’s the threshold to issue separate notifications for each subscribed calendar?

Thank you and everyone who makes this software possible, and maintains it!

• developer

@Oclair said in [Solved] Nextcloud Contacts Birthdays calendar : http 404 error:

Sometimes it works sometimes not as is with all things mobile, so what’s the threshold to issue separate notifications for each subscribed calendar?

If you have some problem which affects all calendars (e.g. server down), you would get one notification per calendar, which could easily mean 10 or 20 notifications…

• @rfc2822 hey thanks for the response, your app works great!

@rfc2822 said in [Solved] Nextcloud Contacts Birthdays calendar : http 404 error:

If you have some problem which affects all calendars (e.g. server down), you would get one notification per calendar, which could easily mean 10 or 20 notifications…

Yes it’s working as you described. But I am not clear on the intention having a flood of notifications for a setting which requires no modification and has no issues other than connectivity?

• developer

@Oclair I don’t understand… what would your suggestion be?

• @rfc2822 Ok, I’ll make a suggestion at the risk of not understanding why it’s setup this way.

I don’t understand why I am being notified if there is a network outage by an app properly configured by services it supports.

Notification of any issues with syncing should first take under consideration if network connectivity has already been successful and the configuration is working in the first place. Perhaps a setting to determine if a delay of notification is required if so how long to delay, and if notification be displayed a single one "some or all feeds have not synced for xhours xminutes xseconds which links to the app’s status window.

Thank you for considering my suggestion!
    Have a great day,
    Oc

• developer

@Oclair said in [Solved] Nextcloud Contacts Birthdays calendar : http 404 error:

and if notification be displayed a single one "some or all feeds have not synced for xhours xminutes xseconds which links to the app’s status window.

But then how to distinguish the errors? Every notification should provide verbose information, including debug info, about the problem so that it can be traced.

I don’t know a useful method to group such notifications (despite from the technical difficulties).

Also, if there are “only” connectivity problems, notifications are shown silently and will disappear automatically as soon as they’re resolved, so in most cases, you won’t see them when there is a successful sync soon enough.

• @rfc2822 said in [Solved] Nextcloud Contacts Birthdays calendar : http 404 error:

But then how to distinguish the errors? Every notification should provide verbose information, including debug info, about the problem so that it can be traced.

That’s why there is an app’s status function, all this sent multiple times (esp in the case for different feeds to the SAME server) to a mobile phone’s notifications is over the top.

Yea but every time I click on a single notification and reload the fetch and it always works, it is too much to have multiple notifications, one will suffice in any case