Notification WiFi SSID Restriction / Location

• Since version 3.3.3 google DavX5 is annoying while synchronizing with the message that additional permissions are necessary regarding the location and location services.

The system synchronises without setting the required permission.
    I use Android 7 and therefore it must also work without additional permission.

Why does this annoying message appear continuously in Android 7?

Micks

• developer

Correct, it shouldn’t appear in Android 7. By the way, it now works differently in Android 7 (no permission required), 8 (location permission required), 10 (background location permission required) and 11 (background location permission + special dialogs required); it’s hard to keep the overview.

This “annoying thing” is enforced by Google and not our idea. They even disallow us to update the app in Play Store because of the whole thing which starts to really annoy me too.

Then blaming DAVx5 for “annoying messages” is not really helpful… A merge request to hide this message on Android 7 is highly welcome.

But of course it’s only a matter of time until you will have Android >= 8 and then you will have to enable location services and give the permission.

• Sorry if that came across as too accusatory. I know that DAVx5 can’t be held responsible for additional location permission.

I’m just surprised that it worked well in the previous version 3.3.2 without this message.

And as you said, in Android 7 permissions for location services are not necessary.

I would be very grateful if the message could be hidden in Android 7 resp. < Android 8.

Many thanks for the great app 🙂

• developer

@Micks said in Notification WiFi SSID Restriction / Location:

I’m just surprised that it worked well in the previous version 3.3.2 without this message.

It’s because we had to change many things for Android 11 compatibility. Those changes apply to DAVx⁵ regardless of the actual Android version.

However, DAVx⁵ should now not ask again for location permissions on Android <8. The changes will come with the next update.

But at the moment, Google doesn’t even allow us to submit updates for the app because they say that DAVx⁵ must not ask for the background location permission at all and we shall instead remove the whole WiFi SSID restriction feature. We have requested their special allowance at least 5 times (with demo video, motivation etc.) but until now, they have always replied with the same boilerplates and rejected all updates. (removed 27 Oct 2020)

• However, DAVx⁵ should now not ask again for location permissions on Android <8. The changes will come with the next update.

This is outstanding! Many thanks again for the excellent work!

• I still need a bit of context to the topic, because this additional permission notification is still occuring with DAVx5 3.3.4.1-ose (via F-Droid). My use case is syncing only via WLAN and only in my private LAN.

My device ist running an ASOP 8.0 (no Google installed), so yes, it’s still affected by this and requires permissions. I actually granted all required persmissions to the app itself, but still - because I don’t want it to be running - the GPS position stuff is turned off on the device. This seems to be an issue for DAVx5.

Now I wonder is this too broadly taylored by the Android permission system or is it not precisely requested by DAVx5? I don’t really get, why DAVx5 needs my GPS location to know the SSID?

By the way DAVx5 is still successfully syncing. That’s another surprising finding and I’m happy that it works.

It would be nice, if someone could clarify the situation with these permissions on Android or - better - helps out with a workaround or a fix (in case it is an DAVx5 issue) to get rid if the notification.

Thanks in advance and thanks for DAVx5 in general. Good to have it! 🙃

• developer

@bigboypete said in Notification WiFi SSID Restriction / Location:

I still need a bit of context to the topic, because this additional permission notification is still occuring with DAVx5 3.3.4.1-ose (via F-Droid). My use case is syncing only via WLAN and only in my private LAN.

The notification fix is in DAVx5 3.3.5.

My device ist running an ASOP 8.0 (no Google installed), so yes, it’s still affected by this and requires permissions. I actually granted all required persmissions to the app itself, but still - because I don’t want it to be running - the GPS position stuff is turned off on the device. This seems to be an issue for DAVx5.

No, see https://www.davx5.com/faq/wifi-ssid-restriction-location-permission. This is actually enforced by Android.

However, what I have just found is that location services are not necessary on Android <9. So this check could be for Android 9+ only. I have now changed DAVx5 so that it only asks for active location services on Android 9+ and updated the FAQ entry.

Really, this is all so complicated and annoying on all those different versions…

Now I wonder is this too broadly taylored by the Android permission system or is it not precisely requested by DAVx5? I don’t really get, why DAVx5 needs my GPS location to know the SSID?

Don’t ask me, this is not a decision of DAVx5 but of Android.

By the way DAVx5 is still successfully syncing. That’s another surprising finding and I’m happy that it works.

I think this is because you’re running Android 8.0. Although the documentation says that the permission is required for Android 8.0 and 8.1, I have seen that it’s not really required on Android 8.0 in the emulator. I can’t guarantee however that all vendors behave the same, so DAVx5 will ask for the permission since 8.0 as documented in the API.

• @rfc2822 thanks for the detailed reply and the clarifying links.

As far as I understand it, for Android 9 and up Google’s permission concept for reading SSIDs means instant death for syncing only in your own LAN - as long as you are not willing to provide GPS location of your device. Too bad…

• developer

As far as I understand it, for Android 9 and up Google’s permission concept for reading SSIDs means instant death for syncing only in your own LAN - as long as you are not willing to provide GPS location of your device. Too bad…

Well I have GPS always on, for various reasons… I have an app that sends the location over SMS when I lose the device (needs location service), and on the other side no GApps and only trusted location providers. So it’s not a problem…

And if you have GApps, don’t they even fetch and send the location when GPS is “off”? So it doesn’t matter either.

• For my device setting the only use case that would require the location service running is the calendar sync for the known reasons. Besides that I currently use GPS only on very rare occasions, when I quickly want to know where I am, when I’m traveling an unknown place and try to find a route.

The main purpose for usually keeping it off is to reduce battery drain. I simply don’t need it running - at least in my personal ecosystem. But that might change when Shift lifts me up to Android 9 - if ever.

@rfc2822 Again thanks for the elaborate information about the topic. I’m satisfied so far and awaiting v3.3.5. 😉

• developer

The main purpose for usually keeping it off is to reduce battery drain.

As far as I understand it, it doesn’t need any battery as long as it’s not actually used (for instance, by a navigation app), which is indicated by the “location” icon the notification bar.

• @rfc2822 Sorry for again digging into this Google permission snakepit. First this is my assumption about the state of DAVx5 3.3.5-ose (via F-Droid):

On (AOSP) Android 8.0 I’m supposed to not get reminders about missing location persmission anymore, when restricting sync to my local WLAN in DAVx5, no matter, whether I have location services turned on or off. Is that correct?

Anyway I still grant the location permission to DAVx5 but have the location service disabled. I wonder, whether I maybe should not even grant the location persmission on app level to get rid of the notifications.

If I’m right with my view on the behavior and my current permission setting, I want to let you know that these notifications still occur (at least on my device). If I still have a misconception about what’s supposed to happen (or not) could you please let me know?

Thanks very much in adavance!

• developer

@bigboypete The commit Don’t ask for active location services on Android <9 / location permissions on Android 8.0 was after 3.3.5 and will be contained in 3.3.6.

But as soon as you get Android 8.1 or newer, you’ll of course get the notifications again.