Not pulling Calendar and Contacts from Android

• I have been making an attempt to keep my Google account (Contacts and Calendar) in sync with my NextCloud instance and not have duplicates, have them act more as one. I’ve already found ways to import and export between the two but if there is ever a change on one or the other I’d have to go through the process again. Everything I keep reading says DAVx5 will be the solution to this but all I come across is basically showing how to keep your NextCloud stuff automatically synced To your Google account, not two-way.

I setup everything DAVx5 needs on my OnePlus 6T, installing Tasks and giving it permissions, preventing battery optimization, etc. It has been able to connect to my NextCloud instance fine, I was even able to make a test calendar and it appeared in my Google Calendar. But for some reason none of my Google information (Calendar or Contacts) show up in DAVx5. I checked the app permissions multiple times and it has access to everything.

I checked the logs but did not find any issue, it appears to connect to my NextCloud instance just fine.

info.txt
    log.txt

• admin

This is not possible - we never will send/copy any data to another account like a Google account (and their server so that it would be syncable by the Google sync adapter). So you can only have one server with CalDAV/CardDAV and DAVx5. You have to decide: Google or alternatively Nextcloud with DAVx5 🙂 But maybe there is some seperate app that can do some kind of “scheduled auto-copy” or so…

• So my best bet, if I wanted to make NextCloud my central choice, would be to export what I wanted from Google then import into NextCloud. Disable all syncing to Google from my Google account then use DAVx5 to sync my NextCloud information to my cell phone?

To me that just seems like it is limiting a lot of what a user could do… I guess I should give up on the idea of using NextCloud for my contacts and calendar and just stick with Google, which is a crap choice in my opinion. I’d love to keep using both, if I could ever find a solution. A big issue with attempting to find one is everything online points to DAVx5, it is hard to “filter out the noise” when looking for what I want.

• admin

@charredchar said in Not pulling Calendar and Contacts from Android:

So my best bet, if I wanted to make NextCloud my central choice, would be to export what I wanted from Google then import into NextCloud. Disable all syncing to Google from my Google account then use DAVx5 to sync my NextCloud information to my cell phone?

Yes, that’s how people generally do it. They copy over the contacts directly on Android (export into vcf / import to the DAVx5-Nextcloud account) and calendar data with iCal Import/Export. Then the suspend the Google sync and disable it.

Why do you want to keep both? What are your ideas / use cases behind that?

• The biggest reasons to keep your Google Calendar around would be that most other people use it and it also does an amazing job scrapping my GMail (kind of shudder worthy if you think about it) for events to automatically add to the calendar. Think of a friend sharing an upcoming event of theirs or a flight you got an email confirmation of. I THINK I can work around this by adding Google’s Calendar to NextCloud as a subscription just to keep an eye on new events popping up.

Contacts is a bit more of a hassle but I think I can live with it. Google, again, will pull information from anything it can to fill in contact information, such as from GMail or your phones Contact app. Most times, where do your modify your contacts? On your phone. In the end I don’t think it is as important to have my contacts in NextCloud as it is calendars, since it is not like I am emailing or texting from NextCloud, their app already sends backups to NextCloud and I can live with this.