Can't save contacts with Google Contacts

• Hello,

I just migrated from CalDAV-Sync/CardDAV-Sync to DAVx5. It looks great, but I found one issue. I set up everything and I can see contacts in the Contacts and Phone apps on my Note10+. That’s great! When I tried to add a new contact, I got a pop-up “Save contact to”. There is no DAVx5 account there and there is no way to add new contacts to Nextcloud. I tried to add my DAVx5 account in Contacts => Manage contacts => Default storage location => Add account. There, I can see the DAVx5 Address book account with a blue dot, but clicking it leads me to the DAVx5 UI instead of adding this account to the list. I tried reinstalling the app and readding my Nextcloud account to no avail.

How can I create new contacts in a DAVx5 account?

Thanks!

• admin

Samsung has changed the behaviour of their contacts app a bit recently. To be able to choose the storage location go to the contacts app, choose the left menu, then click “All contacts”, at the bottom find the “customize” option. This will bring you back into the contacts and enter the custom mode. You need to click the pencil icon to select all the address books you want to view. Choose the DAVx5 book(s) here. Then click the + button to add an account and scroll to the absolute top - there you will find the drop down option to choose the correct address book. See here:

Screen_Recording_20200629-213018_Contacts.mp4.1

• Thanks for the quick answer. Before seeing your response, I tried this:

1. Add a new Nextcloud account in DAVx5
    2. Check Contacts and Sync in DAVx5
    3. Contacts app => Manage contacts => Sync contacts, no DAVx5
    4. Add account => Select DAVx5 Address book => Now, in DAVx5 => Uncheck and check Contacts => Sync
    5. Back to the Contacts app => Manage contacts => Sync contacts, now DAVx5 is available.
    6. Select DAVx5
    7. Contacts app => Manage contacts => Default storage location => Select DAVx5. Done!

This procedure worked for me. I don’t know why the first I checked/synced Contacts (step 2), it didn’t work (step 3).

I have tried your Custom list approach after reinstalling DAVx5. I couldn’t find the Address book under Customize list. This is weird because I can see all my synced contacts, but the address book is not recognized by the Contacts app without unchecking/checking/syncing Contacts again (step 4).

Anyway, there is a workaround, but it can be tricky for new users.

Thanks!

• admin

Okay! At least you found a way so that it worked.

You can also try to use a different contacts app - Google Contacts is a good alternative 🙂

• Not sure if you’re currently testing on the Android 11 beta, but I just attempted to add a contact to my CardDav address book (from Fastmail) and found that all CardDav address books synced via DAVx⁵ (version 3.1.1-ose) are now read only, and are not even listed in the default Contacts app. I can read the contacts from the default Messages client and the default Phone client.
    Android 11 build: RPB1.200504.020

• developer

Can you please provide steps to reproduce the problem?

• I am facing the same issue with a Pixel 3a running the preview of Android 11.

Together with Nextcloud 19.0.0 my calendars are syncing perfectly but I am unable to create contacts with DAVx⁵ in the Google Contacts app, as the account does not appear anymore in the selection list.

What king of information could I provide to help you debug this?

• developer

This post is deleted!

• developer

This post is deleted!

• developer

Is this maybe the same problem as https://forums.bitfire.at/topic/2334/can-t-add-contact-in-google-contacts-on-android-11-beta and related to Google Contacts?

Can you try another contacts app, for instance Simple Contacts?

• developer

Is this maybe the same as https://forums.bitfire.at/topic/2333/save-contact-to-on-note10/ and rather related to Google Contacts instead of Android 11?

I can’t reproduce the problem in the emulator with the same Android version: 11 (RPB1.200504.020) and com.android.contacts 1.7.31.

Can you try another contacts app, for instance Simple Contacts?t

• developer

Two threads merged. We have also received this related tweet:

https://twitter.com/one_solo/status/1280443556105240576

hello, just found out that w/ the latest Google Contacts (v3.26.2.316952635) my carddav account doesn’t show anymore under the picker accounts. I reverted to an old version and it shows normally

• developer

This seems to only affect

• Android 11, in combination with
    • the latest Google Contacts app, which has been marked as “compatible with Android 11” (targetSdkLevel=30).

In Android 11, apps which are marked as compatible with Android 11 can’t see other apps anymore, unless they use one of these methods: https://developer.android.com/preview/privacy/package-visibility#all-apps

Google Contacts doesn’t use any of these methods, so it doesn’t see DAVx⁵ anymore, so it can’t contacts to it.

This should be fixed in Google Contacts, and I hope they will do it.

• @rfc2822 said in Can't save contacts with Google Contacts:

Google Contacts doesn’t use any of these methods, so it doesn’t see DAVx⁵ anymore, so it can’t contacts to it.
    This should be fixed in Google Contacts, and I hope they will do it.

I agree that something has changed in Google Contacts, but it does see other apps providing calendar data (e.g. “Nine - Email & Calendar” - target API 28) just fine. So it might be a bug in Google Calendar but probably also might have something to do with DAVx⁵ 🤔

• developer

@Thomas-Birke said in Can't save contacts with Google Contacts:

So it might be a bug in Google Calendar but probably also might have something to do with DAVx⁵ 🤔

I assume you mean Google Contacts?

So you can still add contacts using Google Contacts into a “Nine - Email & Calendar” account?

• @rfc2822 said in Can't save contacts with Google Contacts:

@Thomas-Birke said in Can't save contacts with Google Contacts:

So it might be a bug in Google Calendar but probably also might have something to do with DAVx⁵ 🤔

I assume you mean Google Contacts?

Indeed… Google Contacts of course.

So you can still add contacts using Google Contacts into a “Nine - Email & Calendar” account?

Yes, I can edit and/or add contacts in “Nine” perfectly fine. “Nine” has been updated yesterday, but the changelog doesn’t mention anything regarding this topic…

Sidenote: syncing calendar data both ways works just fine with both DAVx⁵ as well as Nine…

• developer

Maybe because Nine doesn’t have to use two different account types? But who knows, Google Contacts is not open-source 😕

And I wonder how other contacts apps will solve that problem as soon as they have targetSdkLevel=30, because I don’t know how it could work, except by changing the Android system again or getting the QUERY_ALL_PACKAGES permission.

We will see… I’m quite sure that it’s not related to DAVx⁵; but if there is new information, please post it here.

• @rfc2822 it was me that send that tweet. I further investigate, and with Contacts v3.25 https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-contacts/google-contacts-3-25-3-314396553-release/google-contacts-3-25-3-314396553-2-android-apk-download/ although it’s already target A11 Api30, but it still shows contacts from davx5. The only problem right now is with Contacts v3.26 that doesn’t show them.

f7703e67-c1fd-4ba1-bca7-904a128d8d51-image.png

Or it’s a bug or it was made on purpose

• Still the same on the newest released v3.27

• Updated on August 5th to version 3.29 and is still does not work