DAVx5 warning for "systemwide automatic sync is off" makes bottom-most account name unreadable

• As soon as I have >3 accounts (or 2 and landscape mode) on my device, the message about “systemwide automatic sync being off” is overlaying the bottom entry, making that one unreadable. This has been observed with many versions, latest tried is 3.1-gplay, on a 1280x720 display on stock Android 6.

I have global sync off by intention (which might be based on a special and possibly imprecise understanding, and then I’d be happy to have it corrected): as I expect that, when I ever turn it on, the google sync will grab whatever data is already synced to the Android calendar data provider, before I even have the chance to switch to the submenu and turn it off item-by-item in the google account sync settings; at least that’s what I experienced when I once tried this with a dummy account. And I am unsure if keeping phone in offline mode during this setup transition actually hinders any queued upload to continue later.

As I do this self hosting effort to keep my data my data (implies no google services ever being used to store anything), I strictly want to avoid leaking calendar data by some config stupidity. Safe way might be setting this correctly in factory reset state without any data to slurp, but as devices are all productive now… not an option.

So if someone could shed some light on a smarter way to achieve the same privacy level, that would be highly welcome… could not find any howto on this aspect.

Especially, in case I misunderstood the sync logic and I indeed have to activate the global sync for DAVx5 to ever work reliable with its scheduled syncs, then I’d really need a good work instruction to follow through…

• admin

I think, if you go through all your system accounts and disable the “sync automatically” except the one account for DAVx5 then you can turn on Global sync and it should not trigger any sync except the ones for DAVx5.

• admin

@TheOtherDoctor said in DAVx5 warning for "systemwide automatic sync is off" makes bottom-most account name unreadable:

As soon as I have >3 accounts (or 2 and landscape mode) on my device, the message about “systemwide automatic sync being off” is overlaying the bottom entry, making that one unreadable. This has been observed with many versions, latest tried is 3.1-gplay, on a 1280x720 display on stock Android 6.

Maybe we will make that notification semi-transparent or find another solution. We’ll keep it in mind for one of the next releases! However you should always be able to click it and get into that account where you see the name at the top.

• @devvv4ever I’d love to disable the sync per-account as you suggest, but this workflow seems to be inavailable on any of the Androids (6.0,7.1,8.1) I have here for testing, as long as the global sync is off, which is the state I have to start from…

As far as I observed, when global sync is on, the toggle button for the per-data-source setting is there, fine; then I can control the auto sync state of each item. But as soon as I switch off global sync, the toggle button is gone.

So I’d have to trust Google to do act privacy friendly, giving me a chance to see in advance what will happen when I turn it on - this is where I am pessimistic, based on a test I just did: In globalsync=off situation, the status note “sync OFF” under each single item just repeats the global state - it does not reflect the state it will take when I switch on global sync. I tested this only on LineageOS (which has no google apps/libs to leak anything to), would be interested to know if same applies to stock Androids. So without any such information I have no way to see if data will be “shared to Google” or stays mine. The whole UI design of the account settings looks like a Google data trap to me. Fits the business model. 😞

Obviously, if I could be sure I have done the per-account blocking back in the factory reset state, I could savely switch globalsync on now. Unfortunately, I did not do that, as other apps like messengers don’t need this and thus globalsync=off sounded like the better thing.
    Being aware that this is not DAVx5 specific but a generic issue in Android user “guidance” concept, I admitted before that likely I am just failing to find the right tutorial to offer a simpler way to go. Maybe it is enough to “only” remove all data providers now (hoping that this actually cleans all caches), flip the global switch, assert in the google account that the evil empire is off, and then re-install the adapters for my data.
    I will adress this question in a broader generic forum/context.

• @devvv4ever Yes, there is always a bit of the orange box left to click on it, but the name of the account is hidden, so the only annoyance ever done is just having me open an wrong account, no big thing. About the account select fields, I am just wondering why not putting the name next to the icon, but this might be a different idea… later.

Finally, I have to admit I’ve just proven myself stupid - just when I was about to propose enabling minimizing or removing the warning message, I realized you did already. 🙂
    Obviously I only ever tried to click on it to close, but never to swipe it, which I did first time now and which solves the visibility issue at no effort. Forget my whole comment. 😉