Address book from Fastmail is not syncing

• @rfc2822 Hi, I posted the logs in this thread, can you please take a look.

• admin

@pointblank Thanks! The log says that there are no errors during sync and the sync has successfully completed. So I assume that the contacts are already in the contacts storage of your device (thats where DAVx5 is synchronizing it to, so that all apps can read contacts from there). Maybe the address book is disabled in the contacts app. You can try to install for example Google contacts and see if the contacts pop up there.

• @devvv4ever Yes but actually what I was seeing is that name I added to a number on the phone didn’t sync back to the address book on Fastmail. And some of the names on Fastmail stopped syncing to the numbers on the phone.

My main contact list is with fastmail, what if I wipe out my address book on the phone and sync it from Fastmail? Is this possible?

• admin

Maybe your contacts are being merged together on Android from different sources (thats what Android normally does if there are same numbers synced from Fastmail and you had some numbers on the phone in a different account like the SIM card or on Google contacts). So if you then edit a “merged” contact normally you can choose where it should belong to and if you select the DAVx5-Fastmail-addressbook from the dropdown in the contacts editor then it should sync back to Fastmail. If there is no option to choose then thats maybe the problem.

In order to get rid of a chaos: make sure fastmail has all your relevant contacts. Then delete the DAVx5 account (don’t flag the contacts itself as “deleted” becaus then on next sync the delete request will be performed on Fastmail and your contacts will also be deleted on fastmail).

After removing the account delete all remaining contacts and entries from your device. After that create the DAVx5 with fastmail again and synchronize the address books you want. At least then changing/adding names should work. Btw on Android it is not allowed that contacts have “no” name. So all contacts must have a name… Hope that helps…

• In order to get rid of a chaos: make sure fastmail has all your relevant contacts. Then delete the DAVx5 account (don’t flag the contacts itself as “deleted” becaus then on next sync the delete request will be performed on Fastmail and your contacts will also be deleted on fastmail).

I could have made this mistake. And now I am restoring my FM address book…

Btw on Android it is not allowed that contacts have “no” name. So all contacts must have a name.
    I mean when someone called you without an ID and you don’t have the number in your address book, it will be just the number.

I am thinking of trying this (“clean slate”):

1. Delete all contacts from my phone.
    2. Uninstall and reinstall DivX5. Get a new DAVx⁵ password from FM.
    3. Do a backup of FM contacts. (FM is my main contact
      file).
    4. Try to sync again.

Is this a good plan?

• admin

Yes, I think so!

• @devvv4ever I think I found the root of the problem, see snapshot here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gitio21twalhl75/AACjAcEC7k214gkaDkiOYnFya?dl=0

There are three address books from FM ( I have to ask hem why, I have no idea why 3)
    One address book for gmail
    And one address book for the phone.
    Default for new contacts is set for phone address book and it was not syncing with the FM address book. I will change this default for new contacts to FM address book and all should be good.
    Although I am surprised because I though phone syncs with everything? It should.

• admin

Hi, no there is no cross-sync available on Android - normally you can’t sync automatically between accounts. One contact can only be associated to one address book at a time. With this address book it will synchronize - if an adapter like DAVx5 is responsible for it (or Google sync for the gmail account). But as mentioned before Android “merges” duplicate entries into one “contact”, not very visible for the user. So if you have a contact on the phone account having the same number as in the gmail account and another one from fastmail having also the same number Android will display these 3 contacts as “one” contact - although they are 3 (internally). Then the user edits the “merged” contact not knowing that the wrong address book was chosen, and wondering why it does not synchronize…

Apps that want to extend the base contacts make a copy internally and provide additional features, like for instance WhatsApp. They scan all the address books regulary and then copy the data into their internal database where they manage extended details.

• @devvv4ever thank you so much for your help and comments. I am somewhat technically competent but this is so very complicated. How will average user ever know. I think Google rigs this on purpose to make it difficult outside of their ecosystem.

• admin

@pointblank said in Address book from Fastmail is not syncing:

@devvv4ever thank you so much for your help and comments. I am somewhat technically competent but this is so very complicated. How will average user ever know. I think Google rigs this on purpose to make it difficult outside of their ecosystem.

Of course… They don’t want people to store data outside their servers… Data is their business 😉 We try to make it very easy for users (auto-detection of resources, integration with Android storages, etc) - but I admit that there are more difficulties of course if the sync is not 100% inside the Android software. However the manufacturers own battery saving features are the biggest step for users from our experience, and this causes the most of support time.