CardDav on NGINX

• Hello great DAVx5 Team!

I would like to know if it is possible to sync the Android Contacts through DAVx5 with a plain NGINX server that has webdav enabled?

Background is, I have used Owncloud the recent years on a Raspberry Pi to sync my contacts. Now I would like to omit the maintenance of Owncloud server and drop my contacts directly on a carddav share which is basically possible with a plain web server like nginx or apache.

I tested the WebDav share using “Cadaver”, a Linux command line tool to connect and use WebDav shares, but I could not connect using Android + DAVx5.

Is it possible to sync my contacts on a nginx webdav share? Do I even need DAVx5 for that?

Thanks for your thoughts and keep up the good work!

• developer

Hi,

@dominik said in CardDav on NGINX:

I would like to know if it is possible to sync the Android Contacts through DAVx5 with a plain NGINX server that has webdav enabled?

No, unfortunately not. CardDAV is based on WebDAV and provides additional functions (so-to-say “address book support for WebDAV”), which require to semantically understand and process vCards. You can find details in the CardDAV specification.

Is it possible to sync my contacts on a nginx webdav share? Do I even need DAVx5 for that?

You will need a sync adapter. Theoretically, you can establish your own method instead of CardDAV and write your own sync adapter, but then other CardDAV clients won’t be able to also synchronize with this data source.

• Thanks a lot.

So I’ll quit my experiments with plain NGINX. I tend to use Nextcloud over the snap ecosystem to ease maintenance updates. Any other suggestions appreciated.

• developer

The Nextcloud update works quite well here (normal installation without snap). I don’t know whether Baikal is still supported; it was very simple to set up if I remember correctly. Or Radicale… or another one from davx5.com/tested-with/ 🙂