Trying to get Event Color Sync to work (Nextcloud <-> Google Cal)

• Dear all,

as of today, the Nextcloud Calendar app supports per-event colors (https://github.com/nextcloud/calendar/releases/tag/v2.0.2) so I was trying to get that to sync with the calendar on my phone:

• Latest Nextcloud calendar installed (checked: I can set event colors, they show up properly)
    • Sync with DavX5 with my Android 7.1.2 phone (checked: “Use event colors” is enabled)
    • Looking at the calendars with Google Calendar 2020.04.7 (com.google.android.calendar) the individual event color shows up correctly

So far, so good. However, when I add a new event to the calendar I don’t get the option to select the event color by the Google Calendar app. When I switch to creating an entry in the Google-synced calendar I am able to change the color.

So now my question is: is this a calendar property that somehow needs to be registered with Android? Or is this just the Google app being a pain to me?

How can I provide more information to debug this? The DavX5 log doesn’t seem to be the right thing to post here…

Cheers,
    Simon

• developer

Hello,

@simonspa said in Trying to get Event Color Sync to work (Nextcloud <-> Google Cal):

So far, so good. However, when I add a new event to the calendar I don’t get the option to select the event color by the Google Calendar app. When I switch to creating an entry in the Google-synced calendar I am able to change the color.
    So now my question is: is this a calendar property that somehow needs to be registered with Android? Or is this just the Google app being a pain to me?

The Google Calendar app doesn’t expect that anyone is using colors with anything else than a Google account, so they won’t even notice that setting colors for non-Google accounts is broken in their app.

Please use aCalendar+, Business Calendar Pro or any other app that supports setting colors for non-Google accounts, see https://www.davx5.com/faq/setting-event-colors-crash

• Hi @rfc2822

thanks for the swift response - this is what I feared. Anyway, your very helpful FAQ page pointed me to a very nice alternative app (Etar) so I can even ditch Google Calendar completely - huray! 🙂

Keep up the great work you are doing on DavX5, I am a very happy long-time user.

All the best,
    Simon