davx5 not syncing tasks with mailbox.org

• Hello,

I have 2 accounts configured in DAVx5 with one Horde server and mailbox.org. I have problems to sync the tasks with the mailbox.org account, however calendars and contacts are synced right. I even do the manual sync of the mailbox.org account and tasks are not synced.

The only solution I found to sync tasks with mailbox.org is a manual workaround:

• I uncheck the task list in the caldav tab.
    • I manually sync the mailbox.org account.
    • I check again the task list in the caldav tab.
    • I manually sync again the mailbox.org account.
    • Now the tasks are synced and I can see all the tasks in Opentasks

Do you know of any problem like this? Any solution?

Thanks,

Christian

• developer

Hello,

@chrpinedo said in davx5 not syncing tasks with mailbox.org:

Do you know of any problem like this? Any solution?

Unfortunately not. Without logs and debug info, it will be difficult to help.

• Hello,

this is the debug info for my setup: https://paste.centos.org/view/0c0c1aea
    The caldav task list that fails to sync is “https://dav.mailbox.org/caldav/MzM/

Then, I generated a debug log while I tried to sync with mailbox account. There was a new task in the MzM task list but it was not downloaded from server: https://paste.centos.org/view/1ebcddf8

I tried to generate a debug log with my workaround (uncheck-sync-check-sync), however I tried six times and every time I tried to save the debug log file it couldn’t be share because the debug log file was not available… something strange…

Regards!

• developer

@chrpinedo said in davx5 not syncing tasks with mailbox.org:

Then, I generated a debug log while I tried to sync with mailbox account. There was a new task in the MzM task list but it was not downloaded from server: https://paste.centos.org/view/1ebcddf8

Thanks for the logs. The server says that the sync state hasn’t changed since the last sync:

2020-01-23 19:11:07 39907 [syncadapter.SyncManager] Local sync state = {“type”:“SYNC_TOKEN”,“value”:“1578988937769”}, remote sync state = {“type”:“SYNC_TOKEN”,“value”:“1578988937769”}
    2020-01-23 19:11:07 39907 [syncadapter.SyncManager] Remote collection didn’t change, no reason to sync

This clearly means that the server has sent “there were no changes since the last sync” …

• developer

I have tried with our mailbox.org test account and I can reproduce that mailbox.org doesn’t send a new sync-token when tasks are added:

1. Delete all tasks on the server.
    2. Do initial sync on DAVx⁵. Sync token is 1424703995305.
    3. Add a task on mailbox.org.
    4. Force sync in DAVx⁵. Sync token is still 1424703995305.
    5. The sync token didn’t change since last sync, so DAVx⁵ doesn’t ask the server for the task list (REPORT calendar-query).

It seems that this is a mailbox.org problem. Can you maybe contact them and provide a link to this thread?

• Thanks @rfc2822 !! I open a support request.

• I opened the case MAILBOX-16936 three days ago. No answer until now. Regards,

• [FYI] Mailbox.org opened a case with their support to solve this, however they think they will require days/weeks to solve it. So, they closed my support ticket but they committed to send me a message as soon as they get some advance in the issue.

• @rfc2822 said in davx5 not syncing tasks with mailbox.org:

It seems that this is a mailbox.org problem. Can you maybe contact them and provide a link to this thread?

Sorry, but I am not convinced that this is a mailbox.org problem. I suffer form the same issue on one of my OpenXchange accounts, but depending on the DAVx⁵ version installed:
    A) self-hosted (Server version: 7.10.2-Rev19)
    B) 1&1 IONOS (Server version: 7.10.1-Rev25, DAV-Host: dav.mailxchange.de)

Procedure:

1. Create task t1 on the server.
    2. Sync with DAVx⁵.
    3. Check tasks in OpenTasks.
    4. Edit (not create) the already existing task t0 in OpenTasks.
    5. Sync with DAVx⁵.
    6. Check tasks t0 and t1 in OpenTasks.
    7. Check tasks t0 and t1 on the server.

Results with DAVx⁵ v 2.6.2-ose (expected beaviour)
    Same behaviour for both OX instances A) and B):
    Step 3.: Task t1 shows up in OpenTasks
    Step 6.: Change to task t0 shows up in OpenTasks, task t1 shows up in OpenTasks
    Step 7.: Change to task t0 shows up on the server, task t1 shows up on the server

Results with DAVx⁵ v 2.6.3-ose and v 2.6.3.1-ose
    Different behaviour for OX instances A) and B).

• OX instance A):
      Step 3.: No task t1 in OpenTasks
      Step 6.: Change to task t0 shows up in OpenTasks, task t1 shows up in OpenTasks
      Step 7.: Change to task t0 shows up on the server, task t1 shows up on the server

• OX instance B):
      same behaviour like with DAVx⁵ v 2.6.2-ose

Thanks to F-Droid I was able to downgrade to DAVx⁵ v 2.6.2-ose where the behaviour is as expected.

Hence, my question is: what changed from 2.6.2 to 2.6.3(.1) that causes sync not working until some task was edited on the phone?

Regards,
    Schiri

• I can confirm that mailbox.org uses also OpenXchange and when I reported the issue, they said to me that they had opened a case with OpenXchange to solve it and would provide more information in the following days.

I am going to check the 2.6.2-ose version because it would be great to be solved in that version…

I can’t discuss if the problem is related to davx5 or openxchange … I don’t know *DAV protocols…

• developer

@schiri said in davx5 not syncing tasks with mailbox.org:

2. Sync with DAVx⁵.

5. Sync with DAVx⁵.

Manual sync, I guess?

Hence, my question is: what changed from 2.6.2 to 2.6.3(.1) that causes sync not working until some task was edited on the phone?

Before c267c92a (see changes in last lines of SyncManager.kt; 27 Dec 2019; released with 2.6.3), forced (= manual) sync didn’t take the CTag/sync-token into account and (in PROPFIND/REPORT mode) always requested a full listing. Note that this is not consistent with automatic sync, because automatic sync always checks (and always has checked) the CTag/sync-token of a collection before synchronizing. When the CTag/sync-token didn’t change since the last synchronization, another synchronization is not required – that’s the whole reason for the existence of CTag [https://github.com/apple/ccs-calendarserver/blob/master/doc/Extensions/caldav-ctag.txt#L173] / sync-token [https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6578#section-3.5].

In your case, a manual sync with ≤ 2.6.2 will synchronize the new tasks, but automatic synchronization will not. Can you verify that? Also, other clients won’t sync these new tasks, too (at least if they check CTag/sync-token before).

So to summarize: since 2.6.3, manual sync behaves equally as automatic sync, and behaves like it is expected to do.

I am going to check the 2.6.2-ose version because it would be great to be solved in that version…

The problem won’t be solved, but it can be worked around if you do manual syncs whenever you want new tasks to appear.

• @rfc2822 said in davx5 not syncing tasks with mailbox.org:

2. Sync with DAVx⁵.

5. Sync with DAVx⁵.

Manual sync, I guess?

Yes, you are correct, these were manual syncs to speed up the testing process.

@rfc2822 said in davx5 not syncing tasks with mailbox.org:

In your case, a manual sync with ≤ 2.6.2 will synchronize the new tasks, but automatic synchronization will not. Can you verify that?

Verified. Only manual syncs received the new tasks, not automatic syncs.

I’ll stick with 2.6.2 to have an opportunity to get in sync manually until the issue is solved with OX. @chrpinedo, if possible please tell them that the issue does not seem to occur with server version: 7.10.1-Rev25, but later. Btw., can you check which server version is current for mailbox.org? Should be visible in the webmail, menu > about.

• @schiri They closed my ticket because they considered the bug was going to requite quite time to be resolved. And they didn’t tell me the version they use of OX. I am a sysadmin and I would not consider reasonable to downgrade the server version for a “minor bug”.

If you can, it would be good to open a bug ticket with “1&1 IONOS”, because if OX receives the same bug from different customers, they probably will try to solve this issue faster.

• It works with 1&1 IONOS, so no need to bother them 😉
    I’ll let OX know about the issue anyway as our self-hosted instance is a commercial one as well.

My comment about the version was not to make them downgrade, but give them an impression about when the functionality broke. Can you please check the version in the mailbox.org web interface under menu > about? If it is > 7.10.1, it would support my assumption.

• @schiri I’m also affected by this OX bug.

Right now syncing between DAVx5 on Android and even on my Desktop PC with Evolution is not working.

I’ve checked the OX Version in the mailbox.org web interface: Server-Version: 7.10.2-Rev20

• @shellshocker if you can, open a support ticket with mailbox.org as I did just to push so that they solve the issue ASAP … Regards

• developer

Seems that this has been fixed at mailbox.org now. Can you confirm that?

• I tried today and it didn’t work for me. I didn’t receive any notification from mailbox.org either.

My test:

• I updated Dav5x to version 2.6.5
    • I created a new task in my PC
    • the task didn’t sync to my android device, even I forced the sync from dav5x
    • If a create a new task in my android device, then the task in synced

Regards,

• developer

I have tried with our mailbox.org test account:

1. sync-token is 1584973865082.
    2. Then I created a new task in the Web UI.
    3. sync-token is now 1584973939914,
    4. so the task is synced by DAVx5.

Same for modified tasks.

• @rfc2822 In my test, at the second point, in order to create the test task I didn’t use the mailbox.org webpage, thunderbird task manager (lighting) instead.