Android notifications from 3rd party Calendar Apps

• Hello all!

I am using Android, Nextcloud, and Davx to sync a CalDAV calendar. Everything used to work well, but something has changed so that:

Events created on a 3rd party calendar app do not generate notifications.

If I create an event on a stock calendar app (stock lineage, stock Samsung on two different devices), notifications work as they should on ALL calendars.

I can’t say that DavX is the issue, but I’ve been in contact with support of the other 3rd party calendar app devs, and haven’t gotten anywhere there. I was hoping someone here might have some insight. Is anyone else experiencing this?

• admin

@undrwater Hello! No other reports for this yet… Calendar apps are writing data into the calendar storage of Android. We’re synchronizing this data “as it is”. So if the calendar app does not put a “VALARM” into the event then it will not be synced and you will have no alarms popping up anywhere fpr this event. Some more technichal information is found here in our manual:
    https://www.davx5.com/manual/technical_information.html#reminders
    Maybe this helps a bit (at least for the understanding 😃 …)

• @devvv4ever said in Android notifications from 3rd party Calendar Apps:

@undrwater Hello! No other reports for this yet… Calendar apps are writing data into the calendar storage of Android. We’re synchronizing this data “as it is”. So if the calendar app does not put a “VALARM” into the event then it will not be synced and you will have no alarms popping up anywhere fpr this event. Some more technichal information is found here in our manual:
    https://www.davx5.com/manual/technical_information.html#reminders
    Maybe this helps a bit (at least for the understanding 😃 …)

Indeed it is helpful. I can pass the technical part along to the calendar devs anyway. I am sure most are not concerned about my issue as I am sure it is somewhat niche still. Asking on #android on irc the other day got me the response, “I like stuff that works.”

If someone is watching this thread that is willing to test (or report) I would be grateful. I personally use Business Calendar 2, but I have tested it with Simple Calendar and etar from f-droid with the same results.

Process would look like:

• Install 3rd party calendar, and make sure your caldav calendar is identified.

• create an event using the caldav account

• check to see if a notification is received regarding that event

This way I can know that something is happening on my end.

Thanks!

• I’ve installed caldavsync for Android, and notifications are working. I’m not sure if this app is adding anything to the mix, but I’m willing to grab logs if anyone is interested.

• developer

I use BC2 myself, and notifications of created events are surely working here. So we’d need more verbose steps to reproduce the problem. Or just stay with CalDAV Sync if you want less efforts.