No two-way automatic sync

• Hi, after three whole days I give up.

I read all the possible solutions and setup help pages, watched YouTube, all to no avail.
    And before I throw away my Synology I would like the golden tip from somebody 😉

I did install Synology Calendar (new package, so no WebDAV/Caldav) and installed DAVx5 and aCalendar+ on my Android phone.

I do see my Synology calendars in aCalendar+ and the agenda entries I make on my phone show up in my Synology NAS. Great!
    When I delete entries on my phone, they are deleted on my Synology. Great!

HOWEVER : when I make a direct entry in my Synology agenda, NOTHING happens in aCalendar+ on my phone!!
    And when I delete an entry on my Synology, nothing happens either in aCalendar+ on my phone.

Those changes become visible only after activating MANUAL synchronizing in aCalendar+.
    Anybody an idea what can be the reason for that?

Thanks!

• developer

Hi,

What sync interval did you set and how long did you wait? Did you disable power saving options as described on https://www.davx5.com/faq/synchronization-is-not-run-as-expected?

Can you please provide your debug info (DAVx⁵ / Settings / Debug info)?

• Hi, tnx!
    Sync interval “240 minutes + direct after change”.
    Yes, power saving options disabled.
    File attached.

davx5-info.txt

• Some additional information:
    When I change the sync interval to e.g. “30 minutes + direct after change”, the changes in entries are perfectly synchronized after 30 minutes.
    My conclusion is that DAVx5 does not detect changed entries in Synology Calendar upon the time of change, but only after scheduled sync time intervals.
    (No difference between home network Wifi and 4G)

• developer

@BirdyB said in No two-way automatic sync:

When I change the sync interval to e.g. “30 minutes + direct after change”, the changes in entries are perfectly synchronized after 30 minutes.
    My conclusion is that DAVx5 does not detect changed entries in Synology Calendar upon the time of change, but only after scheduled sync time intervals.

Yes, this is how synchronization work. There is no CalDAV Push (yet), and as far as I know there are no server or client implementations (except proprietary solutions). Synchronization is done at synchronization intervals (and when there is network connectivity and the battery rules allow it).

If you need up-to-date events at a specific moment, I’d recommend to refresh the calendar manually (can be done from calendar app). Otherwise, set the sync interval to something that matches to your needs.

Does that help?

• Mmmm, that helps (3 days too late …;-))

Maybe it is a good idea to explain this phenomena somewhere in the DAVx5 manual.
    I didn’t know this before I purchased the app.

And in the text about the DAVx5 sync intervals, the phrase " … + direct after change" (I don’t know the exact English text, because I have the Dutch version) should be deleted.
    It is very confusing.

Thanks for your explanation though.

• developer

@BirdyB said in No two-way automatic sync:

" … + direct after change" (I don’t know the exact English text, because I have the Dutch version) should be deleted.
    It is very confusing.

It is meant as “directly after local change”. If a sync was initiated after every (even remote) change automatically, then why would a sync interval even be needed? But thanks for the hint!

• @rfc2822 said in No two-way automatic sync:

It is meant as “directly after local change”

Ok, but also when the setting would read “+ directly after local change”, I think that many future users of the Dav5x-app might think that ANY local change will be synchronized at once. In both directions.

Example:
    I have 5 different agenda’s in my Synology, also visible on my phone.
    When I read that a local change will be synchronized, I assume that when I make an entry in Agenda_1 in my phone, this is being synchronized in Agenda_1 in my Synology. And this appears to be correct.
    But I am assuming also that when I make an entry in Agenda_1 in my Synology, this will be synchronized in Agenda_1 on my phone, because (for me) I made a local change also. But apparently this is not a local change. And thát I didn’t know.
    A simple example of this in the DAVx5 manual, will help simple people like me 😉

• developer

@BirdyB I see. This is then a mutual misunderstanding of the word “local”: in this context, it means “on the device [where DAVx⁵ runs]” to me. The opposite is “remote”: if you do a change “remotely”, it will be synchronized to DAVx⁵ only at the given sync intervals.

• All clear now!
    I think/hope I am not the only one in the world who need some further explanation on (for many people obvious) things.
    Maybe it is a good idea to post your last explanation somewhere in the manual.
    Thanks for your help, I won’t bother you anymore…