What other Android apps do you use/recommend?

• developer

My personal favorites (free/open-source):

• Conversations (XMPP + Steam gateway)
    • Firefox Klar
    • Kiwix (offline wikipedia)
    • Nextcloud
    • OpenTasks
    • OsmAnd (offline navigation)

Other:

• Amazon app store (heavy tracking, but I like to have an official way to get some proprietary apps)
    • Business Calendar Pro
    • Signal
    • Threema

• admin

I can’t live without

• ShareviaHTTP
    • Conversations

Other cool apps:

• PlantNet (Google Play only)

• I’ve been using FairEmail for a while now: https://email.faircode.eu/

• Hi,

I’m glad I found this topic : I discovered ShareviaHTTP which is so KISS 😉
    I also installed OpenTasks. Thanks for these recommendations!

@rfc2822 : is OsmAnd good at evaluating trip durations? Currently I use Mapfactor Navigator but it is really bad at this (plus it tends to choose shorter paths at the expense of many turns).

What do you all use as addressbook manager? For now I’m sticking to the builtin Android Contacts because I couldn’t find a CardDav app that will allow setting some per-contact ringtones.

• developer

@LL said in What other Android apps do you use/recommend?:

Hi,

I’m glad I found this topic : I discovered ShareviaHTTP which is so KISS 😉
    I also installed OpenTasks. Thanks for these recommendations!

@rfc2822 : is OsmAnd good at evaluating trip durations? Currently I use Mapfactor Navigator but it is really bad at this (plus it tends to choose shorter paths at the expense of many turns).

I use it mainly for biking in combination with BRouter (awful UI, but the routing is excellent) with my own routing file, which almost always finds perfect bike routes for me (with highly accurate durations) 🙂

It’s only good for car navigation, but I don’t use that often.

What do you all use as addressbook manager? For now I’m sticking to the builtin Android Contacts because I couldn’t find a CardDav app that will allow setting some per-contact ringtones.

Me too…

• @rfc2822 Since we’re talking about Android Contacts: is it able to manage categories (those in vCard)? This is Contacts 1.7.10 on Android 8.1.0. When I created contacts in the phone internal storage I could add “labels” (not sure of the English name, in French it’s “Libellés”). After duplicating them into the DAVx5 account I find no field reflecting the original label, nor do I see any empty field evoking categories.

• developer

@LL Yes. You have to select the correct group method in DAVx5. See https://www.davx5.com/faq/cant-manage-groups-on-device

• @rfc2822 Thank you!

For future reference:

• Exporting the local contacts to file then importing the file into the DAVx5 account will not transfer the categories. Maybe this could be stated on the FAQ https://www.davx5.com/faq/existing-contacts-are-not-synced
    • And when no contacts of the account have categories, the Contacts app will not show the Label field in the contact editing page! (Even after clicking “More fields”.)
      Only after adding a contact with a non-empty category in my addressbook server does the Contacts app show the label field (for all contacts including uncategorized ones)…