I am using SmarterMail Enterprise 15.7 that is provided by my hosting company. I’m actually a fan of the product, since it provides email, contacts management, calendar, notes, tasks, even file storage, WebDAV, free for 10 users and they’re working towards a linux version as well (it’s a .NET product).
Since I’ve discovered DAVx5 I’ve moved all my important things from gmail, yahoo, gdocs to SM. Now I’ve got a new Nokia 8 phone with Android 9 Pie on it and I want to set everything right (regading privacy):
- no skype contacts added to my Contacts list
- no sync of my Contact to google account
- sync Contacts, Caledar, Notes, Tasks (only) with SmarterMail through DAVx5
- use mainly FOSS android apps
With these in mind, I have some questions:
- SM provides its own ‘Master categories’ for contacts but when cleaning up my contacts list from SM I noticed the contacts categories from my phone were synced as contacts. On my new phone - will I get the Master categories or no categories at all?
- I did install OpenTasks on my old Android 4.4 phone (thank you for still supporting this version of Android!) but they were never synced. Was it because of the Android version or do I need to configure something?
- No sync from what I’ve read. I would like to investigate what actually needs to be done (for SM as backend) so I would be grateful for any insights or key words related to notes and webDAV (and SM).
I found this diagram from DAVx5 documentation higly informative
Android OSS apps
While investigating notes syncing I found:
- Orgzly for note taking
- some Simple* apps covering the rest: Simple Contacts, Simple Notes, Simple Calendar (from https://simplemobiletools.com/)
- Simple Mail as mail client
- Notepad for notes
- other *pads for note taking
Not sure what to pick up and install so I’m wondering what you’re using (given the DAVx5 with SM as backend).
I never found being mentioned in the official documentation what version(s) of SM are supported (or were used at testing)