DAVx⁵ 2.5 UI feedback: Refreshing with button vs pulling down

• Hi, you posted that you need help testing DAVx⁵ 2.5. I have a little bit of feedback for the updated UI.

I was confused about the two different ways to refresh: Pulling down and using the floating action button. It looks like clicking the action button synchronizes the events and pulling down refreshes the list of calendars but does not necessarily synchronize. If I recall correctly, this is a change to the previous version where pulling down synchronized all events. The assumption that those two ways do something different comes from the fact that they take a different amount of time. There is no clue in the UI that tells me what pulling down actually does.

I suggest to display a snackbar when pulling down, just like when you press the action button, that tells you what is actually refreshed. The snackbar is especially important if the data that is refreshed actually changed when comparing to the previous version.

• developer

Hello!

First, thanks for your suggestion! 🙂 We’re happy about any feedback.

@HaPe said in DAVx⁵ 2.5 UI feedback: Refreshing with button vs pulling down:

Hi, you posted that you need help testing DAVx⁵ 2.5. I have a little bit of feedback for the updated UI.

I was confused about the two different ways to refresh: Pulling down and using the floating action button. It looks like clicking the action button synchronizes the events

True!

and pulling down refreshes the list of calendars but does not necessarily synchronize.

Exactly.

If I recall correctly, this is a change to the previous version where pulling down synchronized all events.

No, there was no swipe gesture before, only the “synchronize now” action button/menu item.

The assumption that those two ways do something different comes from the fact that they take a different amount of time. There is no clue in the UI that tells me what pulling down actually does.

Well, it does what the swipe-down gesture always does in Android/material apps: it refreshes the list (contents).

The difficult thing is that the list contents (list of address books, calendars, task lists) are not related to the synchronized items (contacts, events, tasks) itself.

I suggest to display a snackbar when pulling down, just like when you press the action button, that tells you what is actually refreshed.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m not too happy with that because it adds redundancy and normally, there’s no snack bar after swipe-refresh, but I agree that it’s somehow confusing now.

And of course, an explanation will be added to the manual as soon as 2.5 is released.

• @rfc2822 said in DAVx⁵ 2.5 UI feedback: Refreshing with button vs pulling down:

Well, it does what the swipe-down gesture always does in Android/material apps: it refreshes the list (contents).

When pulling down in the folder view of my email app, it refreshes the contents of the folders and not the folder list itself. This is probably not how Google wants it to be but I would say that most users still expect that. Most users probably will not look at the manual. They will pull down and then wonder why it did not refresh the events (just like I did a few minutes ago). I, personally, do not refresh the calendar list too often, so the message would not be displayed frequently. I assume that others also use the event refresh function more frequently than the list refresh function.

I think that it is better to have a redundant message than to have confused users. Anyway, I am just one single user. If you are sure that the majority of users does not get confused, you don’t need a snackbar 🙂

• I do find the current setup suboptimal. Imho, DAVx5 should refresh the collections list more intelligently.
    E.g. when opening the account settings, such a refresh should be done automatically for an account.

And I do find the distinction between “refresh collection list” and “sync all contacts and calender events” not obvious. I.e. why should pulling down do the former and tapping the lower right action button do the latter.