Build failures with java 11

• Hi,

when trying to build davx5 with java 11 (openjdk 11.0.3), I get the following failure:

$ ./gradlew  assemble

> Configure project :cert4android
    WARNING: API 'variant.getPackageLibrary()' is obsolete and has been replaced with 'variant.getPackageLibraryProvider()'.
    It will be removed at the end of 2019.
    For more information, see https://d.android.com/r/tools/task-configuration-avoidance.
    To determine what is calling variant.getPackageLibrary(), use -Pandroid.debug.obsoleteApi=true on the command line to display more information.

> Task :cert4android:compileDebugKotlin
    w: /home/michael/git/davx5-ose/cert4android/src/main/java/at/bitfire/cert4android/TrustCertificateActivity.kt: (56, 27): Parameter 'view' is never used
    w: /home/michael/git/davx5-ose/cert4android/src/main/java/at/bitfire/cert4android/TrustCertificateActivity.kt: (61, 27): Parameter 'view' is never used

> Task :cert4android:compileDebugJavaWithJavac FAILED
    Gradle may disable incremental compilation as the following annotation processors are not incremental: databinding-compiler-3.4.0.jar (androidx.databinding:databinding-compiler:3.4.0).
    Consider setting the experimental feature flag android.enableSeparateAnnotationProcessing=true in the gradle.properties file to run annotation processing in a separate task and make compilation incremental.

> Task :vcard4android:compileDebugKotlin
    w: /home/michael/git/davx5-ose/vcard4android/src/main/java/at/bitfire/vcard4android/AndroidContact.kt: (358, 21): Name shadowed: impp
    w: /home/michael/git/davx5-ose/vcard4android/src/main/java/at/bitfire/vcard4android/AndroidGroup.kt: (83, 90): Name shadowed: cursor
    w: /home/michael/git/davx5-ose/vcard4android/src/main/java/at/bitfire/vcard4android/AndroidGroup.kt: (125, 16): Type mismatch: inferred type is Uri? but Uri was expected

> Task :ical4android:compileDebugKotlin
    w: /home/michael/git/davx5-ose/ical4android/src/main/java/at/bitfire/ical4android/AndroidEvent.kt: (338, 17): 'EXT_UNKNOWN_PROPERTY: String' is deprecated. New serialization format

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
    Execution failed for task ':cert4android:compileDebugJavaWithJavac'.
    > javax/xml/bind/JAXBException

* Try:
    Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

Deprecated Gradle features were used in this build, making it incompatible with Gradle 6.0.
    Use '--warning-mode all' to show the individual deprecation warnings.
    See https://docs.gradle.org/5.1.1/userguide/command_line_interface.html#sec:command_line_warnings

BUILD FAILED in 18s
    40 actionable tasks: 40 executed

I read that with project jigsaw, some modules were deprecated and (re)moved from Java. Any recommendations how to fix this build problem with Java 11?

• developer

Does it work with Java 8? I don’t know whether Java 11 is even supported by the Android tools and had various problems, so I’m using this right now:

$ java -version
    openjdk version "1.8.0_212"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_212-b01)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.212-b01, mixed mode)

• It does build with Java 8. The problem only happens with Java 9 or later.

• developer

As far as I know, this is a general Android question and not DAVx5-specific. Currently, Android tools don’t work with Java 11.