ampersands in caldav cause parsing error

• developer

I see. Can you please provide the full DAVx⁵ exception info (which includes details about the exception, a stack trace etc)? This sounds really strange, because DAVx⁵ uses the Android XML parser and doesn’t parse by itself… Steps to reproduce would also be helpful.

• Here is the log:

EXCEPTION:
    at.bitfire.dav4jvm.exception.DavException: Couldn't parse multistatus XML element
    at at.bitfire.dav4jvm.DavResource.processMultiStatus(DavResource.kt:494)
    at at.bitfire.dav4jvm.DavResource.processMultiStatus(DavResource.kt:435)
    at at.bitfire.dav4jvm.DavCalendar.calendarQuery(DavCalendar.kt:99)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.CalendarSyncManager$listAllRemote$2.invoke(CalendarSyncManager.kt:108)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.CalendarSyncManager$listAllRemote$2.invoke(CalendarSyncManager.kt:42)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncManager.useRemote(SyncManager.kt:809)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncManager.useRemoteCollection(SyncManager.kt:830)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.CalendarSyncManager.listAllRemote(CalendarSyncManager.kt:106)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncManager$performSync$1$1.invoke(SyncManager.kt:142)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncManager$performSync$1$1.invoke(SyncManager.kt:53)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncManager.syncRemote(SyncManager.kt:455)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncManager$performSync$1.invoke(SyncManager.kt:141)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncManager$performSync$1.invoke(SyncManager.kt:53)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncManager.unwrapExceptions(SyncManager.kt:835)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncManager.performSync(SyncManager.kt:112)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.CalendarsSyncAdapterService$CalendarsSyncAdapter.sync(CalendarsSyncAdapterService.kt:55)
    at at.bitfire.davdroid.syncadapter.SyncAdapterService$SyncAdapter.onPerformSync(SyncAdapterService.kt:73)
    at android.content.AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter$SyncThread.run(AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter.java:321)
    Caused by: org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException: unterminated entity ref (position:TEXT @2:104 in okhttp3.ResponseBody$BomAwareReader@be74a6) 
    at org.kxml2.io.KXmlParser.readEntity(KXmlParser.java:1220)
    at org.kxml2.io.KXmlParser.readValue(KXmlParser.java:1402)
    at org.kxml2.io.KXmlParser.next(KXmlParser.java:393)
    at org.kxml2.io.KXmlParser.next(KXmlParser.java:313)
    at org.kxml2.io.KXmlParser.nextText(KXmlParser.java:2077)
    at at.bitfire.dav4jvm.Response$Companion.parse(Response.kt:113)
    at at.bitfire.dav4jvm.DavResource$processMultiStatus$2.invoke(DavResource.kt:465)
    at at.bitfire.dav4jvm.DavResource.processMultiStatus(DavResource.kt:484)
    ... 17 more

• as an addition, the error

Caused by: org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException: unterminated entity ref (position:TEXT @2:104 in okhttp3.ResponseBody$BomAwareReader@be74a6)

refers to the first letter in the xml entity:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:" 
      xmlns:a="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:caldav">
      <D:response>
        <D:href>/SOGo/dav/c&amp;m@example.net/Calendar/personal/</D:href>
                            ↑
                            This is 2:104 in raw output

@rfc2822 If required, I can give you a temporary access to this calendar

• developer

@CircleCode At the moment, we don’t have any left time. If you can keep the test account online some time, please create one and send it over forum chat. Thanks

• for the reference, this may be related to https://sogo.nu/bugs/view.php?id=2479

As an addition, I am wondering if entities are expected at all in href (at xml level, they should be, of course, but at the caldav parser, I am wondering).
    For example, when I share this calendar with a user not having an ampersand in its name, it becomes as following (note the replacements : &_AM_, @_A_, ._D_) :

<D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:" 
      xmlns:a="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:caldav">
        <D:href>/SOGo/dav/user@example.net/Calendar/c_AM_m_A_example_D_net_personal</D:href>
        <D:propstat>
          <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>
          <D:prop></D:prop>
        </D:propstat>
          <D:status>HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found</D:status>
          <D:prop>
            <a:calendar-data/>
          </D:prop>
      </D:response>
        <D:href>/SOGo/dav/user@example.net/Calendar/c_AM_m_A_example_D_net_personal/3E5C-5CAB8E00-35-469F7780.ics</D:href>
          <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>
          <D:prop>
            <a:calendar-data>BEGIN:VCALENDAR
    PRODID:-//Inverse inc./SOGo 4.0.7//EN VERSION:2.0 BEGIN:VTIMEZONE TZID:Europe/Paris X-LIC-LOCATION:Europe/Paris BEGIN:DAYLIGHT TZOFFSETFROM:+0100 TZOFFSETTO:+0200 TZNAME:CEST DTSTART:19700329T020000 RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTH=3;BYDAY=-1SU END:DAYLIGHT BEGIN:STANDARD TZOFFSETFROM:+0200 TZOFFSETTO:+0100 TZNAME:CET DTSTART:19701025T030000 RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTH=10;BYDAY=-1SU END:STANDARD END:VTIMEZONE BEGIN:VEVENT UID:3E5C-5CAB8E00-35-469F7780 SUMMARY:Mat CLASS:PUBLIC X-SOGO-SEND-APPOINTMENT-NOTIFICATIONS:NO TRANSP:OPAQUE DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Paris:20190408T100000 DTEND;TZID=Europe/Paris:20190408T104500
    CREATED:20190407T182922Z
    DTSTAMP:20190407T182922Z
    LAST-MODIFIED:20190407T182922Z
    END:VEVENT
    END:VCALENDAR</a:calendar-data>
          </D:prop>
      </D:response>
    </D:multistatus>

• @rfc2822 I won’t be able to keep the test account online for time.

For reference:
    I am using SoGo 4.0.7 on Gandi hosting.
    I did nothing else than creating a mail with address c&m@example.net, and it should be sufficient to reproduce this issue.

• developer

Can you please send a test account nevertheless? I’ll have a look as soon as I find some time.

• I did not find a way to send privte message, and I’d like to avoid posting credentials in the forum

• may be related to https://sogo.nu/bugs/view.php?id=2479, but not sure

• developer

Thanks for the test account. When DAVx⁵ queries the resources, the server sends:

<D:multistatus xmlns:a="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:carddav" xmlns:D="DAV:"><D:response><D:href>/SOGo/dav/c%26m@example</D:href><D:propstat><D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status><D:prop><a:addressbook-home-set><D:href xmlns:D="DAV:">/SOGo/dav/c&m@example/Contacts/</D:href></a:addressbook-home-set><D:group-membership/></D:prop></D:propstat></D:response></D:multistatus>

which causes this DAVx⁵ error: Couldn't parse urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:carddavaddressbook-home-set EXCEPTION org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException: unterminated entity ref (position:TEXT @2:247 in okhttp3.ResponseBody$BomAwareReader@abfda3c)

As you can see, the & is not escaped in the href element, which is invalid XML and can’t be parsed. So, this seems to be a server problem and it seems to be related to the bug report you have posted.

If there are any specific indications that this could be a DAVx⁵ problem, please let us know.