Some basic features I'm waiting for a few yeras

• Hi,
    I bought Davdroid to support the project and willing even for regular donations if the product goes commercial.
    However, I am disappointed to see commercial alternatives implementing basic features that should really be done in my opinion for a serious use:

• sync options: both directions (forced current), one side replicate, one side merge
    • one button to manually sync all accounts (currently must go one by one)
    • export/import accounts configuration to avoid starting from scratch each time when changing device or full reset
    • accessible logging / notification of sync events
    • fix the never have worked for me option to sync on local event change (two devices and used on Android 6, 7, 8 and 9)

Since I started to migrate all my calendars to CalDav because of google bug since october with events getting lost when created on mobile with low or no connectivity, I found these missing features being a real limit for daily use

I finally found a commercial alternative, well rated, and offering all these features:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icalparse

I however still prefer contributing and donating to support an open source project.
    Is there any real plans to implement such features and in what timing ?

I understand the limitations for an open source free product, but I really hope that you can make it more user friendly by adding these basic features.

Best regards

• developer

@phyto70 said in Some basic features I'm waiting for a few yeras:

• sync options: both directions (forced current), one side replicate, one side merge

Why not force read-only mode in DAVx⁵?

• one button to manually sync all accounts (currently must go one by one)

In my opinion, this should not be within the scope of DAVx⁵. Why don’t you just use Synker or a similar app?

• export/import accounts configuration to avoid starting from scratch each time when changing device or full reset
    • accessible logging / notification of sync events

Can you explain what you mean and what the use case is? Our goal is to keep DAVx⁵ as simple as possible (and as as complex as required). Logging and notifications about synced events would confuse me personally when using DAVx⁵, and there’s verbose logging for debugging.

• fix the never have worked for me option to sync on local event change (two devices and used on Android 6, 7, 8 and 9)

We can’t fix problems we can’t reproduce. We don’t know what causes this problem for you. This seems to be a very rare problem. If you have any idea what the problem could be, please tell us in a separate thread.

I understand the limitations for an open source free product, but I really hope that you can make it more user friendly by adding these basic features.

I don’t consider these features as “basic”, because we have a more modular approach. But thanks for your ideas! You can find the list of current ideas which might be implemented here: https://gitlab.com/bitfireAT/davx5-ose/wikis/Roadmap

Maybe the design goals of the other product simply better match what you want?

• Thanks for your reply.
    In fact, since a couple of months I moved to Caldav sync even on my business calendars because of the issue known with Google calendar sync I mentioned and that sadly seems hard to recognise and fix by Google despite hundreds of reports since November.

Outlook Caldav Synchronizer for desktop works perfectly to keep the sync between my server, outlook and even google account which is configured in one way sync only, server -> outlook.

Android Caldav currently is in fact too much limited in options compared to the Outlook Caldav Synchronizer

• I needed the Android --> google one way sync, but your app doesn’t support the new OAuth 2.0 neither the local to server only sync. The alternative commercial Android app and the open source Outlook Caldav Synchronizer do both support OAuth 2.0
    • export/import accounts config is helpful when you have many accounts set up and you change phone or use 2 or three devices
    • Synker won’t help because when triggering sync from Android Settings / Accounts, even if it shows that Caldav did sync, it won’t in fact. On my 3 devices, Galaxy S7, Galaxy Note 4 and Xiaomi Mi A1 with Android stock this is true. I have to go into Caldav and start manual sync from the app. With many accounts, this is a bit cumbersome.
    • logging could be optional at least when someone is testing if everything goes fine (number of items modified, deleted…), but I could live without it
    • sync on local events change: I could live with it if manual sync from app would have been quicker for many accounts instead of having to go through each account

Hope you don’t take it wrong. I could buy the alternative commercial app. I just wanted to give my feedback here before doing so. I used your app since a few years and I do trust it as it never failed me. For one account it was fine. For +5 accounts and a complex sync scheme
    ( Google <-- Android <–> Server), it is limiting. So yes, maybe my needs cannot be filled with an app targeting only users with simple needs.

I am still reluctant to change, not because of paying, but only because I can’t afford right now the time to set up everything again and go through a long test period to ensure the new app is as reliable as yours. Losing data and events being not an option in my case.

Anyway, I hope you make your mind on these suggestions. Thanks for your great work and best regards