Force Close when viewing an Event

• Whenever I try to open an event from caldav in the system calendar, the calendar app force closes.

I/ActivityManager(  469): Displayed com.android.calendar/.EventInfoActivity: +234ms
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135): Writing exception to parcel
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: the bind value at index 1 is null
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteProgram.bindString(SQLiteProgram.java:164)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteProgram.bindAllArgsAsStrings(SQLiteProgram.java:200)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDirectCursorDriver.query(SQLiteDirectCursorDriver.java:47)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.rawQueryWithFactory(SQLiteDatabase.java:1314)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteQueryBuilder.query(SQLiteQueryBuilder.java:400)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteQueryBuilder.query(SQLiteQueryBuilder.java:333)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at com.android.providers.calendar.CalendarProvider2.query(CalendarProvider2.java:1041)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at com.android.providers.calendar.CalendarProvider2.query(CalendarProvider2.java:1012)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at android.content.ContentProvider.query(ContentProvider.java:744)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.query(ContentProvider.java:199)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at android.content.ContentProviderNative.onTransact(ContentProviderNative.java:114)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:388)
    E/DatabaseUtils( 7135):         at dalvik.system.NativeStart.run(Native Method)
    W/AsyncQuery( 8448): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: the bind value at index 1 is null
    D/AndroidRuntime( 8448): Shutting down VM
    W/dalvikvm( 8448): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x419ae7c0)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448): java.lang.NullPointerException
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at android.text.SpannableStringBuilder.append(SpannableStringBuilder.java:247)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at com.android.calendar.EventInfoFragment$QueryHandler.onQueryComplete(EventInfoFragment.java:599)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at com.android.calendar.AsyncQueryService.handleMessage(AsyncQueryService.java:412)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5289)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:525)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:739)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:555)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 8448):        at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
    W/ActivityManager(  469):   Force finishing activity com.android.calendar/.EventInfoActivity
    W/ActivityManager(  469):   Force finishing activity com.android.calendar/.AllInOneActivity
    W/ActivityManager(  469): Activity pause timeout for ActivityRecord{42118050 u0 com.android.calendar/.EventInfoActivity}

DAVdroid shows the calendar as synced, and it does not matter if I create the event locally or if it comes from another device, it always crashes.

• developer

How do you create the event? This sounds like a bug in the calendar app / provider.

Please provide steps to reproduce, including your device and Android version.

• I'm running Cyanogenmod 10.2 (so Android 4.3) nightlies. Device is Optimus 4X HD.

As I said, it happens with events that I create from the Android calendar, and with events synced from other clients (Thunderbird/Lightning in my case).

To Reproduce:
    Add CalDAV account
    create an event in the CalDAV calendar (from the default calendar app)
    save the event
    tap the event to open it

Result: The activity starts loading, but before any data is displayed, the calendar app force closes)

• developer

This is a bug in com.android.calendar/.EventInfoActivity. Even if DAVdroid would construct invalid events, these events should be denied/repaired by the calendar content provider or the calendar app. I will mark this issue as invalid because the calendar app crashes, not DAVdroid and because I can't reproduce the problem. However, if I or you can find out what's the exact cause of the problem, please feel free to re-open.

• I tried a different calendar app from the market, and it works there without problems, so it's definitely a problem with the Android Calendar.

One thing that is obviously null is the calendar title/name (I have no idea what it's name is).

If you know what I mean, maybe you can send me a build where you set that to a proper value so I can test, otherwise I will see if I can find it myself.

Or you could tell me where exactly events are passed to a calendar so I can debug this myself.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.