Allow to define a time windows for synchronization

• Enhancement request: It would be nice to be able to define a time window, e.g. 08:00-20:00h, during which synchronizations should take place. This would e.g. prevent a phone from being woken-up at night by sync requests.

• developer

@j-ed Thanks for the suggestion! What is the actual use case, i.e. why do you want to prevent the phone from syncing at night?

• @rfc2822 One use case is e.g, that I want to make sure that the phone battery is loaded at night as fast as possible without apps draining it by running tasks which are not necessary.

• developer

@j-ed I see… well running synchronization when nothing has changed shouldn’t even need one mAh. Android’s default policy is quite opposite: everything that needs power should be only run when the phone is charging, so that these operations don’t drain battery:

The impact of performing updates while the device is charging over AC is negligible, so in most cases you can maximize your refresh rate whenever the device is connected to a wall charger. Conversely, if the device is discharging, reducing your update rate helps prolong the battery life.

So maybe there should be another option “Only sync when phone is charging”, like it is found in many other sync apps (for instance, the Nextcloud app).

But then there’s the question: should there be as many options as possible or as little as possible? Personally, I’d like to have as little settings as possible, but maybe a good balance would be the best…

• Thank you for the explanation. I tend to agree that it is better to keep the app simple instead of making everything configurable.

Maybe you're interested in these topics?