You’re right, principles is spelled wrong. I don’t think that was the issue that caused the error above though based on all the testing I did do.
It’s an older machine and it’s likely has outdated SSL/TLS. Same thing with the evolution client version I was using to test with. It would be nice if the error message were more human readable though. Since this didn’t work and I don’t have time to update the server now, I’m not going to do any more troubleshooting and I disabled the address book service for security reasons after finding out that it didn’t work. Any new server I build will not be mac os, so I’m not sure if further troubleshooting efforts would even be worthwhile with the current server.