"Sync over WiFi only" & "Wifi SSID restriction" are ignored

• thanks for this awesome app. i ❤ it. this app helped me to switch to android (contacts and cal sync without google was a must for me).

since, i think, the second to last update of davdroid, it ignores the "Sync over WiFi only" & "Wifi SSID restriction". my server is only accessible in my lan, so i enabled "Sync over WiFi only" and added my ssid to "Wifi SSID restriction".

now i often see Network or I/O error - Unable to resolve host "contacts.local". so i assume it is a bug because it worked perfectly before.

btw:

• i found your closed github repo and skimmed the reasons of not using it any more. fun fact is that i had to allow my browser to access google (which is blocked by default on my browser) for captcha to register your forum 😉
    • also found your gitlab repo and would really love to be able to raise issues there instead of a forum.
    • sidequestion: if i donate will the nag screen dissapear? (would donate with wire transfer as i am from austria
    • awesome that such a great software comes from austria/vienna 😄 👍

• developer

Hello,

Thanks for your message and feedback! I'm happy that DAVdroid works well for you! 🙂

@c33s said in "Sync over WiFi only" & "Wifi SSID restriction" are ignored:

since, i think, the second to last update of davdroid, it ignores the "Sync over WiFi only" & "Wifi SSID restriction". my server is only accessible in my lan, so i enabled "Sync over WiFi only" and added my ssid to "Wifi SSID restriction".

Which calendar app do you use? We have received a report where calendar apps seem to initiate "manual syncs", and DAVdroid intentionally ignores WiFi restrictions on manual syncs.

Or does it happen when you edit contacts? Can you maybe provide steps to reproduce, and ideally verbose logs as described in [READ BEFORE POSTING] What's required to diagnose a problem?

• i found your closed github repo and skimmed the reasons of not using it any more. fun fact is that i had to allow my browser to access google (which is blocked by default on my browser) for captcha to register your forum 😉

Do you know a Google-less captcha plugin for NodeBB? I'd highly prefer a captcha for NodeBB without Google 🙂

• also found your gitlab repo and would really love to be able to raise issues there instead of a forum.

We have intentionally decided to run our own forum (based on the open-source software NodeBB) instead of having discussions in "issues" on foreign platforms where we don't have many possilibities (like Solr-powered full text search). In our previous experiences, we have found that people often don't search in closed issues which results in many duplicates. Also, in my personal opionion, issues are a highly specialized bug reporting tool, whereas a forum is a general platform for discussions, questions, (potential) bug reports and other things.

• sidequestion: if i donate will the nag screen dissapear? (would donate with wire transfer as i am from austria

At the moment, there is no such option. However, as soon you choose the "View donate page" option, the donate dialog won't appear again for 30 days (14 days if you choose "Donate later").

• thanks for your fast reply.

reported bug

looks like it is the calendar thing you mentioned 😞

workload is quite high in the moment, i will provide a better bug report according your guidlines (i fear it will be after new year).

would love if davdroid would prevent this or add a setting "obey rescrictions on manual syncs". for me it is also some kind of risk. if i want to prevent that my calendar or my contacts are ever synced with the wrong server and i think the restrictions work (maybe if the a real domain resolves to different servers in lan and over a public lan or wlan), this can lead to data corruption (yes its very theoretical).
    after thinking about that, i would prefere that davdroid always obey the restictions and have an option "ignore restiction on manual sync".

before i used solcal which is no longer maintained, now i test https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.simplemobiletools.calendar and https://f-droid.org/en/packages/ws.xsoh.etar
    i will debug which app forces the sync and post the info here.

captcha

don't know how hard your bb is hit by spam bots but maybe this is enough:

https://www.npmjs.com/package/nodebb-plugin-math-captcha

gitlab issues

😞 i love gitlab for issue stuff but i understand your point. for search of closed issues gitlab offers a neat feature now. if you create a new, similar issues (open and closed) are shown while you enter the title.

donation

donated today. would have donated more if possible...