Unable to add ical sources persistently

• Since I switched to a new phone I'm unable to add iCal sources in ICSDroid persistently. On my old phone, same OS, everything worked fine. I'm using ICSDroid 1.6 on Android 7.1.2 (LineageOS for microG 14.1).

When having Privacy Guard enabled, ICSDroid asks for calendar permission, which I granted permanently. Reading through the forum, I also tried with privacy guard disabled for ICSDroid to no avail.

As long as I keep ICSDroid open I can add resources and have them sync. Entries will show up in my calendar. However, when closing ICSDroid all resources vanish after some time. Restarting my phone will trigger that disappearance immediately.

I'm new to debugging on Android. I did run adb logcat and looked for error messages, but didn't find anything that pointed me in the right direction. One message caught my eye:

W ContentResolver: Failed to get type for: content://com.android.calendar (Unknown URL content://com.android.calendar)

I'm not sure it's related, though.

I noticed that ICSDroid does not create an account. I only see DAVDroid accounts, which I use for syncing contacts and CalDAV calendar. I also noticed, that I'm unable to set a sync interval. When selecting "every hour" and saving, it will show "Automatic sync disabled" at the bottom.

I appreciate your help. In case you need more information, I will be more than happy to provide it. Pointers to what to look for in the Android logs are welcome.

• developer

@gui1ty said in Unable to add ical sources persistently:

As long as I keep ICSDroid open I can add resources and have them sync. Entries will show up in my calendar. However, when closing ICSDroid all resources vanish after some time. Restarting my phone will trigger that disappearance immediately.

This exactly sounds like a privacy guard problem to me. Such features often simulate a calendar so that apps are still working and then remove all contents. Also, we haven't heard of this problem by other people yet.

• @rfc2822 said in Unable to add ical sources persistently:

This exactly sounds like a privacy guard problem to me. Such features often simulate a calendar so that apps are still working and then remove all contents. Also, we haven't heard of this problem by other people yet.

I already tried with Privacy Guard disabled for ICSDroid. Or do I need to disable Privacy Guard completely? I'm willing to try for troubleshooting purposes. But if that is the only way to get ICSDroid working again, I would sadly have to look for a different app. 😕

More over, DAVDroid works fine with Privacy Guard enabled and ICSDroid worked fine using the same OS, albeit an earlier release, on a different phone.

• developer

I already tried with Privacy Guard disabled for ICSDroid. Or do I need to disable Privacy Guard completely? I'm willing to try for troubleshooting purposes. But if that is the only way to get ICSDroid working again, I would sadly have to look for a different app.

I don't know, because as far as I know, there is no documentation for Privacy Guard. Or is there something like that?

Would be interesting whether other apps suffer from from the same problem.

• @rfc2822 said in Unable to add ical sources persistently:

I don't know, because as far as I know, there is no documentation for Privacy Guard. Or is there something like that?

So far, I couldn'y find any myself. But I'll ask around.

I did read a post on Reddit by a member of the LineageOS team, stating that Privacy Guard is based on AppOpsManager. Not sure if that helps or sheds any light.

Would be interesting whether other apps suffer from from the same problem.

On my phone it's only ICSDroid that fails to behave properly.

I'm also keeping in mind that it could be something on my phone. I tried adding an ICSDroid account from the accounts menu. That brings me into the app, allowing me to add a calendar resource, but no ICSDroid account will show when that process is finished. That's odd, but I guess something outside the app.

Or do I need to disable Privacy Guard completely?

That, I found out, is not achieved easily. Once enabled during initial phone setup, it can only be turned off per app.