Help a Newbi

• Sorry to be "that guy" but I am very new to Linux and I am having a ton of trouble trying to get the driver onto my PC. Is there anyone who could take the time to hold my hand and walk me through how to get this driver onto my PC? I'm a Photoshop artist trying to make the shift from Mac to Linux and I really wanna give this app a try.

• Which distribution are you using?

• Ubuntu 12.04. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

• OK, what have you tried so far to get it working?

• I made an attempt at compiling the driver myself, which I did so badly that I'm not even sure I could describe how I messed that up.
    I tried the strait download of the .txt, but couldn't figure out how to load that binary. All I could manage with it was opening it as a read only text file. Again, I'm a serious noob.

• OK, If you have a 64-bit system:

1. Download the file. Don't use right mouse button to save it It's not a .txt file.
    2. Mark the file as executable. You can do this with the file-manager and the file properties or with the command line "chmod a+x FILENAME "

If you have a 32-bit system you have to compile it:
    -1. Open an Terminal
    0. Create a new directory

1. Clone the repository: git clone git://github.com/rfc2822/GfxTablet.git
    2. Install gcc, make and linux kernel header includes (Use the package-manager of your choice)
    3. cd driver-uinput; make

If something doesn't work please ask and give us as much information as you have.

• OK. I have a 32-bit system (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS), so I tried to compile it again. Here is the problem:

1. Create a new directory - DONE
    2. Clone the repository: git clone git://github.com/rfc2822/GfxTablet.git - DONE
    3. Install gcc, make and linux kernel header includes* - using the basic "Software Center" I could find the first two, but couldn't find the third. The first two were already on my system, but I'm not sure about the third.
    4. cd driver-uinput; make - DONE

I've been trying to use the direction from the project page (http://rfc2822.github.com/GfxTablet/) but this direction:
    Then, run the binary. The driver runs in user-mode, so it doesn't need any special privileges. However, it needs access to /dev/uinput. If your distribution doesn't create a group for uinput access, you'll need to do it yourself or just run the driver as root:*
    This is gibberish to me.
    I know that I'm still missing something because xinput list does not show a "Network Tablet" device
    And I opened GIMP and there is no "Input Device" listed under Edit. Unfortunatly, that is as detailed as I can get, because that is the limit of my understanding.

• developer

If the "make" command runs without errors, all from step 3 is done.

To start the networktablet driver as root, just enter
    sudo ./networktablet
    in that directory in the terminal (and then enter your password)

If the driver starts correctly, it won't say anything (maybe I could add a "ready" message); otherwise there will be an error message.

• Followed the above, nothing happened (in a good way I think).
    But when I opened the app on my Galaxy Note 10.1 (running Touchwiz 4.1.2) it gave me a pop-up that said "Unknown host name, please configure" and when I go to Networking/Network host, it fills in "please-replace.invalid".
    And when I open GIMP (2.6) I don't see any options to allow for the use of the tablet. So I am still doing something wrong somewhere.

• developer

You have to replace "please-replace.invalid" by the IP address of the computer running the input driver. When the driver receives events from the app, it prints some dots.

• OK. I'm getting close, I can feel it. I got into GIMP, found Network Tablet under Input Devices, set it too screen, put my computers IP Address into the tablet app and now nothing is happening. It looks like everything is setup the way that it should be, but I'm not getting any movement on the computer from the tablet.

• Are there any dotts written in the terminal window, where you've started the networktablet driver?
    It should look like this:

sudo ./networktablet

• @rfc2822
    As an improvement you should perhaps print the IP address of the computer if the networktablet driver is started.

• No dots. It asks me for my password and then nothing. But when I close the the terminal a dialogue pops up saying "There is still a process running in this terminal" When I go to GIMP, it does have the Network Tablet listed, but it still isn't working.

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 00:21:03 -0800
    To: GfxTablet@noreply.github.com
    CC: achvirko@hotmail.com
    Subject: Re: [GfxTablet] Help a Newbi (#6)

@rfc2822

As an improvement you should perhaps print the IP address of the computer if the networktablet driver is started.

—

Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub..

• developer

When there are no dots, the driver doesn't receive anything. Either the IP address in the app is wrong (did you enter the IP address of the computer running the driver?), or the Android device is not connected to the same network (WLAN?), or a firewall blocks the traffic. (For instance, Fedora runs a restrictive firewall by default.)

• The IP address is that of the computer running the driver, Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't have any firewalls that would block this (that I know of), and they are both connected to the same wireless network (the household wifi).
    I am supposed to be starting the driver BEFORE starting the app, correct?Sorry this is taking so much time and effort.

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 04:59:32 -0800
    To: GfxTablet@noreply.github.com
    CC: achvirko@hotmail.com
    Subject: Re: [GfxTablet] Help a Newbi (#6)

When there are no dots, the driver doesn't receive anything. Either the IP address in the app is wrong (did you enter the IP address of the computer running the driver?), or the Android device is not connected to the same network (WLAN?), or a firewall blocks the traffic. (For instance, Fedora runs a restrictive firewall by default.)

—

Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub.

• developer

It makes no difference for the latest version (1.1). There's another think that I suspect: the new version required some changes so it's not compatible with the old driver anymore. And I have changed the port so maybe it would help to compile a new version of the driver (just delete it and fetch/compile again) and a new version of the app (deinstall / install again). This should help.

• HA HA!!!! Success! Thank you very much for sticking with me through this.

I have just started using the app, but so far it is very impressive. No bugs that I can see so far.
    I will echo what a couple of other people have said and say that if there is anyway to get the screen to share in both directions (so that you can see on the tablet what is happening on the computer) that would be fantastic. But for now, I am really enjoying the app. Keep up the good work and thanks again.

• Great to hear! Hope you enjoy it in the future and thanks for the comment on the Play store (yes, it was the dev himself that mailed with you) 😉 Closing this now!

• here's what i've done and still can't get this to work. (toshiba satellite ultrabook, ubuntu 13.04)

downloaded networktabletx86 file to desktop

ss@ss-Satellite-U845t:~$ cd ~/Desktop
    ss@ss-Satellite-U845t:~$ chmod a+x networktablet
    ss@ss-Satellite-U845t:~$ sudo ./networktablet

the result said it is running on 0.0.0.0:40118 (altho i don't recall verbatim)

app is installed on galaxy note 2

i have tried both the ip address of the computer on the local network, and the one spit out in the terminal 0.0.0.0

i see network tablet in input devices gimp 2.8 but it wont allow me to "save"

on the desktop i see no mouse cursor movement, nor do i see dots in terminal when i touch the tablet screen.

i have also downloaded gfxtablet-master folder with driveruinput folder+ in it but can't figure out what to do with it if anything.

i've also added the repository in the terminal "sudo add-apt-repository http://github.com/rfc2822/GfxTablet
    "

can't wait to try some painting with my phone and gimp. i'll happily donate to this project.