Connecting to Nextcloud only produces 401's

I'm trying to sync with my personal Nexctcloud 12.0.3 install (on a remote server). Nextcloud and all relevant modules (Calendar, Contacts) are up to date, debug info from DAVdroid is here.

I enter URL, username and password in the DAVdroid setup screen, then click on "connect". After that, the "retrieving server information window/animation pops up and never dissapears. I don't get an error message either.

The relevant parts from my server's weblog (everything containing the string "davdroid") can be found here. (ignore the lines containing wrong URLs, I was fooling around to see if anything changed). Notice all the 401 status codes in there...

I am sure the password I'm using is correct - since it's a complicated one, I even changed it to a simple English word to make sure I didn't have a typo. Also, aCalDAV works fine for syncing on the same phone with the same Nextcloud setup, so it can't be a password problem.

I also tried accessing the server HTTP instead of HTTPS, same result.

I tried to enable logging to disk and I do get a notification that DAVdroid is about to write a log file to external storage, but the mentioned file never gets created. Could be a problem with my setup, no idea.

Does anybody have any ideas what I could try to solve this?

Nextcloud has some kind of flood protection - if the pw was entered wrong for a few times, it does not accept requests for a period of time (minutes I guess).

Another thing : Did you enable app specific passwords and two step verification? If yes, you need this password to login and not the one you use to login to Nextcloud!

One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. – Friedrich Nietzsche

I was going to reply that this is unlikely, since I had tried on several different days with many hours inbeetween tests - but when I tried again just now, it worked fine.

Thanks for the feedback 😉 Need to look up Nextcloud flood protection, I guess. Stupid mistake on my part.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.