recurring appointments: exceptions not shown properly

• If I add an recurring appointment in my Outlook 2016 calendar and export the calendar as an ics, ICSDroid imports the appointment correctly. And they are displayed properly in the calendar app (I use aCalendar+).

As soon as I change/modify one of the reccuring events, the appointment is not shown properly in the calendar. The subject is "---", the body and location field are empty.

Please find attached such an appointment. I created a recurring event "Test" which takes place every Thursday from 1pm to 1.30pm starting at 05/10/2017 the next 10 weeks. There's one exception that the next meeting is not today, but tomorrow 06/10/17 from 1pm to 1.30pm.

Could you please have a look what's wrong with my ics file?

Thanks a lot,
    meiser

0_1507186227622_test.ics

• Please find attached two more ics files.

Test-1.ics: recurring appointment without exceptions
    Test-2.ics: recurring appointment with one exception on 06/10/17

1_1507201257651_Test-2.ics 0_1507201257650_Test-1.ics

• admin

Thanks for reporting. We will have a look at it, it's a bit stressy atm but we will not forget about it.

• Did you find the time to have a look?

Many thanks!

• Sorry to push again, but this issue is quite "urgent" for me as I have a lot of appointments where some are rescheduled.
    And this means that there're a lot of appointments in my ICSdroid calendar with no content.

Thanks a lot for looking into this issue!

• developer

The three files are partially incomplete, don't have VTIMEZONE (which is required for the Outlook timezone names) etc.

Can you please provide exactly one full .ics file with an event and an exception which should be (but isn't) processed by ICSdroid so that I can have a look?

• The attached files are exported with Outlook. They include the VTIMEZONE, at least what I can see.

1_1510518719859_test2-without-exceptions.ics 0_1510518719855_test2-with-exception-on-20171122.ics

• developer

@meiser Thanks. Which one shall I use to test?

• The one with the exception.

• developer

I have sent an APK over email for testing. Please let me know whether it works for you.

• It doesn't work as expected. I answered by mail and sent my ics file which I used for testing.

• developer

@meiser Is "W. Europe Standard Time" your Android default time zone?

• My Android time zone is "GMT+01:00 Mitteleuropäische Normalzeit". The time zone is received by the mobile network, I enabled "Automatische Zeitzone - Vom Netzwerk angegebene Zeitzone beibehalten".

• I think, there's a misunderstanding.

It's not that the exceptions are not shown at all, but they are not shown properly. The subject is "---", the body and location field are empty.

According to the screenshot which you sent me by mail, it's also reproducable on your side. Could you please have a look?

Many thanks!

• Did you find the time to have a look again?

• developer

@meiser said in recurring appointments: exceptions not shown properly:

It's not that the exceptions are not shown at all, but they are not shown properly. The subject is "---", the body and location field are empty.

... as they are in the VEVENT (the one with the RECURRENCE-ID). I'm not absolutely sure about that, but as I understand it, the properties of the instance are completely defined by the propeties in the exception VEVENT. That means that if you want to have SUMMARY and other fields, you would have to repeat them for the exception VEVENT.

I could not find a clear answer in the standards, but this is what I have seen in examples and what seems to make sense for me (for instance: how shall one know whether the SUMMARY has to be copied or whether it's really empty?). I recommend to copy the required properties (SUMMARY, LOCATION etc.) to the exception VEVENT if you want to have it in the exception.

• @rfc2822 said in recurring appointments: exceptions not shown properly:

I recommend to copy the required properties (SUMMARY, LOCATION etc.) to the exception VEVENT if you want to have it in the exception.

How shall I do it? This is how Outlook exports the calendar events to the ICS file. Or is there anywhere an option for Outlook to copy the required fields to the exception VEVENT which I didn't find?

• admin

@meiser We don't use and know Outlook, sorry - so we can't look at it personally. I think when you make an exception in your Outlook calendar you should somewhere be able to fill the summary field, that would at least make sense or give users the option to have a different summary than the original VEVENT.

• If I have an exception in the Outlook calendar, Outlook shows the same summary, location, body text as in the original VEVENT. So I don't have to copy it over to the exception.

Could you maybe implement a workaround for this issue? I don't think that I can convince Microsoft to change its implementation.

• developer

@meiser said in recurring appointments: exceptions not shown properly:

Could you maybe implement a workaround for this issue? I don't think that I can convince Microsoft to change its implementation.

We can of course think about that. But before doing so, I would at least like to know whether this change would be standards-compliant behaviour (and thus improve compatibility) or a workaround (which may reduce compatibility).

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.