Allow direct DAV URLs without auto-detection

• Hi there,

I've been using DAVdroid for a while but just realized that I no longer have access to a shared calendar on our Zimbra server.

0_1481116957513_davdroid-15042-20161207-134946.txt
    0_1481116966978_davdroid-15096-20161207-135005.txt

I've attached 2 log files. On the first one (I think) you can see how I added the account, one the second you can see how it thinks that there are no events on the shared calendar when synchronizing.

I'm assuming that the issue is with how Zimbra handles shared calendars. When I use my login name mthoben, the shared calendar shows up as "../dav/mthoben@DOMAIN/SUSAN Calendar" - but when it decides which ICS files to download it gets "../dav/shares_susan@DOMAIN/Calendar" as base URL and then DAVdroid says "Received <response> not for self and not for member resource" leading up to "Downloading 0 events". Looks to me like it can't correlate the events to the calendar anymore - maybe because of Zimbra's forwarding to the real URL of the shared calendar?

In any case, I tried to add this shared calendar via direct URL "../dav/shares_susan@DOMAIN/Calendar" - but I can't get past the auto-configuration of DAVdroid which seems to prioritize the results from ../principals/users/mthoben@DOMAIN/ instead.

Is it still possible to not use the auto-configuration and specify the direct URL to the CalDAV calendar I would like to add?

EDIT:
    DAVdroid 1.3.4.1-gplay
    Zimbra 8.7.1.GA.1670

Thanks for your help and thanks for this great software!

Best wishes,
    Marc

• developer

Hello,

@mthoben said in Allow direct DAV URLs without auto-detection:

I'm assuming that the issue is with how Zimbra handles shared calendars. When I use my login name mthoben, the shared calendar shows up as "../dav/mthoben@DOMAIN/SUSAN Calendar" - but when it decides which ICS files to download it gets "../dav/shares_susan@DOMAIN/Calendar" as base URL and then DAVdroid says "Received <response> not for self and not for member resource" leading up to "Downloading 0 events". Looks to me like it can't correlate the events to the calendar anymore - maybe because of Zimbra's forwarding to the real URL of the shared calendar?

Indeed. When a WebDAV client like DAVdroid requests information for /dav/mthoben%40mpipz.mpg.de/SUSAN%20Calendar, but the server sends information about /dav/shares_susan%40mpipz.mpg.de/Calendar/33493472-4a26-4398-a074-d382b9b36a18.ics, there is a problem. This is not how WebDAV works – there is no way for a client to detect that the given information is related to the requested resource. This is a server bug, please report it to Zimbra.

Is it still possible to not use the auto-configuration and specify the direct URL to the CalDAV calendar I would like to add?

It's possible (you can enter any CalDAV/CardDAV URL), but of course the WebDAV responses have to be correct so that DAVdroid can use them. In case of incorrect WebDAV responses, DAVdroid can't detect the resource at the given URL.

• Hi rfc2822,

Thanks for your reply. I have 2 additional "accounts" already in DAVdroid added by direct URL:

/dav/shares_susan@mpipz.mpg.de/Tasks/ (CalDAV)
    /dav/shares_susan@mpipz.mpg.de/Contacts/ (CardDAV)

I added them when DAVdroid on my phone and Zimbra on the server were at a older versions.

But when I add a new "account" today with URL /dav/shares_susan@mpipz.mpg.de/Calendar/ now, it shows me the result of the request to /principals/users/mthoben@mpipz.mpg.de/. The URL is definitely correct (used by Thunderbird/Lightning). In the DAVdroid logs first thing I can see is the command PROPFIND https://zmail.mpipz.mpg.de/principals/users/mthoben@mpipz.mpg.de/ http/1.1. mthoben is the username I put in when adding a new account in DAVdroid.

Anything I can do to see more of the requests sent and responses received by DAVdroid? Or did I just enable log to external file too late?

Thanks for your help!

Best wishes,
    Marc

• @rfc2822 @mthoben
    I have just upgraded from Zimbra 8.6.0 to 8.7.1 and have found this same issue with all my DAVdroid devices and shared calendars. I've retained my logs(server's mailbox.log and phone's ADB) but haven't posted them to avoid duplication.

I couldn't find this discussed on the Zimbra sites so I just posted this in the Zimbra Forum and filed this bug in Zimbra Bugzilla

• This post is deleted!

• I just found that while the shared calendars can't be viewed and thus not edited....Where read/write access to the shared calendar applies, calendar events can be created in the shared calendar on the phone and are shown in the Zimbra web based calendar after sync completes.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.