Update the Server URL

• Hi,

how can I change the URL of the accounts?
    I read in the FAQ, that this was not possible before Version 0.9. I am using 1.0.7 and I can't find the option.

Thank you in advance,
    Jack

• developer

Hello,

Changing the URL is not a well-defined operation: did only the principal URL change, or home set URLs too, and/or collection URLs, too? Did the directory structure change? Etc. etc.

DAVdroid 1.0+ supports refreshing the collection list and creating/deleting collections for an existing server configuration (i.e. URL).

If you change the server URLs, it's technically as if there's a completely new server/service. So you'll have to remove the old account and add a new account with the new URL.

• It may be the same server, in case a server migrated to a new IP/URL. This is my case. And I don't want to delete my account since there are not synchronized entries.

1. Is there a solution for this situation?
    2. Do I understand correctly that possibility to modify servers parameters cannot be added to DAVdroid because it is "not a well-defined operation"?

Thank you.

• developer

@liotcheg said in Update the Server URL:

It may be the same server, in case a server migrated to a new IP/URL. This is my case. And I don't want to delete my account since there are not synchronized entries.

1. Is there a solution for this situation?

You can export those entries with your calendar/contacts app and import them later.

1. Do I understand correctly that possibility to modify servers parameters cannot be added to DAVdroid because it is "not a well-defined operation"?

Yes. It would be a very complex operation which would cause lot of work (for little results; as far as I know, people don't move their servers that often) and could easily cause severe problems, including data loss. (Btw, if you have a look at other clients like Thunderbird and Evolution, the URL can't be changed there, too, although it would be much more simple there because they don't have service detection etc).

• Thank you for the explanation!

• I just ran into the same issue.

It is not possible to change a server URL when it has changed and removing, re-adding and re-configuring seems quite cumbersome for something that does not appear to have a lot of impact.

In addition, there's currently no way to verify which added server is using which URL/server. Adding a way to edit the URL would solve both issues.

Would it be something to reconsider?

• I think the option to manually edit the server URL would be a nice feature. It can be in the settings dialog where you can change the password. Maybe it can be handled like creating a mail account in Thunderbird. When you put in you e-mail address it knows the POP/IMAP/SMPT servers but you have still the option to change them.

On issue as an example. I contacted the support of Davdroid for this and get very quick an answer. Thanks for this. My problem was that "web.de" changed the server and the server Davdroid is trying to connect to does not answer in the right way. Create a new account did also not help, because Davdroid setup again the wrong server. Manually set up two accounts, one for caldav and one for carddav, worked.
    If someone has the same problem, the server address for carddav is https://carddav.web.de and for caldav it is https://caldav.web.de. Davdroid connect to carddav but for caldav it use https://kalender-bap.web.de/begenda/dav/users/ which is not working.

If I could manually adjust the servers, this would also help when the provider play around with their configuration and change something.

I support this feature request.

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.